• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cobden Street

Bosworth

proper brummie kid
In the 1861 census I have relatives in Cobden St, Aston.
The adjacent streets on the census return are Chain Walk, (Lower) Wilton St and Lozells Rd which all still exist
I have searched on maps of the period but I can't find Cobden St which has about twenty houses listed on the census.
May be my dodgy eyesight, but any help would be appreciated.

In the 1861 census I have relatives in Cobden St, Aston.
The adjacent streets on the census return are Chain Walk, (Lower) Wilton St and Lozells Rd which all still exist
I have searched on maps of the period but I can't find Cobden St which has about twenty houses listed on the census.
May be my dodgy eyesight, but any help would be appreciated.

i know the area well but cobden st is a new one to me and pretty sure it no longer exists...will see what i can find out for you but i cant see it on the 1888 map

lyn

The attached census extract shows where Cobden St changes to Chain Walk. It's transcribed as Cobden St and it looks correct.

Attachments

• 1861 census.jpg
    1861 census.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 13
There are couple of families that are on Cobden St in 1871 and James St in 1881.

On the 1888 map James St is between Wilton St and Chain Walk.

Seems a possibility. The one family - Haddock - is on Cobden St in 1861 as well. Sadly no numbers listed in 1861 or 1871.

If there's no James St in the vicinity on the 1861 or 1871 census then that would be in favour of a name change.

I am not certain of this, but in the 1872 and 1873 directories, in Gower st between Wheeler and Guildford St, are 1,2,3,4 Cobden Place. Earlier directories are non-informative, but the 1876 directory (which gives street numbers) lists two of the same occupants. This would seem to indicate that Cobden Place was a row houses later numbered 46,48,50, 52 Gower St . The numbering was not later changed, and you can see the four houses in red on the 1880s and 1950 maps below. You will note that next to them is a stump of a road leading to the Manor vinegar brewery. I would suggest that before the brewery was built, that the road carried on further and was named Cobden St.

map 1880s showing 46-52 Gower St.jpgmap 1950s showing 46-52 Gower St.jpg

Would the jump in the numbers, from 40 to 46, suggest that there used to be 2 more houses which were at some point demolished to give access to the vinegar brewery?

Or perhaps, when they were numbering the street they thought there might be houses built on the site of the entrance e, and made allowance for that.

Back