• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flares broad street - manager commiting suicide

Towpathlegend

proper brummie kid
can someone help me here, am I right in thinking that when Flares opened or was about to open, the manager tragically commited suicide, and it was something to do with being forced to wear 70s outfits ?

or have I remembered it totally wrong, apologies to any friends or family of the guy who may or may not have passed away, my memory is really hazy on this and it popped up in a conversation at work, and I said Id try and find out what the exact story was

thanks

hi and welcome...if this sad event did happen the reason behind it does seem a bit far fetched but hopefully there is someone out there who can help you with this one

lyn

oh dear how sad....i thought it happened in the 1970s not 1998...as this is really quite recent the forum would like to extend our sincere condolences to any family or friends of donald..

Flares was on Broad Street on the site of the old Presbyterian Church, I always thought that it was a strange change of use. It is now named Popworld, I know because my son was/is a frequent visitor to both clubs, having caught my 70s music bug. I hadn't heard of this tragic incident, before now. :(

1717156699545.png 1717156961932.png 1717157349362.png

The address given in the article is Lower Severn Street but it is definitely referred to as Flares. Did it move?

The address given in the article is Lower Severn Street but it is definitely referred to as Flares. Did it move?
Rebecca's was in Lower Severn Street as was another bar which the Fewtrells ran (can't remember the name now) maybe a name change at some point?

Wasn't that the Tavern in the Town or became that (not sure of dates). The other pub bombing - downstairs?
This was Edward's No 8, afterwards known as Eddie's on the corner of Lower Severn Street and John Bright Street..

Can only think of 'The Grapes' in the 70s..
The Grapes was in Hill Street.

Wasn't that the Tavern in the Town or became that (not sure of dates). The other pub bombing - downstairs?
Yes, sadly it was the Tavern In The Town that was one of the two pubs that was attacked by the IRA on that cold November evening. I remember being on the number 55 bus with my then girlfriend Irene as we headed into the city centre. I remember visiting a couple of my workmates from the CO-OP dairy who had been injured in one of those pubs that night. It was a night that Birmingham people will never forget.

Back