• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Valor Heating

I was there then, it was certainly an unusual place to work, but, there was a lot of heritage.

When I worked at Esso Bromford lane I was able to buy a fire direct from Valor at a very good price, there was some link between Esso and Valor that allowed employees of Esso to get discount.

Yes I worked in the spares dept in the late 60's, I can't remember any names now unfortunately, but I do remember it was a nice place to work, as I was in a group at the time we tried to style ourselves as 'the move' lookalikes, management did a lot of tut touting so I left

When I worked at Esso Bromford lane I was able to buy a fire direct from Valor at a very good price, there was some link between Esso and Valor that allowed employees of Esso to get discount.
I think the link was that the stoves used the fuel that Essie sold. It was a win win!

I think the link was that the stoves used the fuel that Essie sold. It was a win win!
In our case it was a gas fire which they manufactured in the days before natural gas, I certainly take your point though. Unlike Shell Esso would also give employees discount on heating oils, during my 26 years with Shell I can honestly say we never got discount on anything but, of course, their answer was we were well enough
paid as it was.

In our case it was a gas fire which they manufactured in the days before natural gas, I certainly take your point though. Unlike Shell Esso would also give employees discount on heating oils, during my 26 years with Shell I can honestly say we never got discount on anything but, of course, their answer was we were well enough
paid as it was.
WOW! I think someone at Shell missed the point! It’s really about getting employees to buy into the company. I guess they did alright.

WOW! I think someone at Shell missed the point! It’s really about getting employees to buy into the company. I guess they did alright.
We had the share option scheme which was very favourable but having a young family resulted in no spare cash at the time.

We had the share option scheme which was very favourable but having a young family resulted in no spare cash at the time.
Nick, understand! The key I think is a discount on something you need and can use. The share option scheme is good if you have the money. I worked for Purolator for about 20 years and one of the things we made were automotive fuel, oil air and transmission filters. We had a really good share option but 50% off manufacturing cost on filters. One of our cars was a BMW 2002Tii and the air filters from the dealer(which we supplied) were equivalent to about $100 USD, our manufacturing cost was less than $10.00!

Hi....and greetings from Perth, Western Australia.

Wonder if you could help......just doing some historical research of the Valor company....am trying to get a FIRM date when the VALOR 56R KEROSENE HEATER was first made??

I do not have much information on the web after extensive research.

Next step, any info would be appreciated of a timeline when kerosene heaters were first mass produced in Birmingham UK during the early 1900's??....I have pin pinpointed to 1929?

Quite a number of Valor kero heaters have been circulating throughout Australia and I have owned a few.

Marvellous antiques deserving....and preserving some sort of history information.

Any info would be much appreciated!
Kind regards,
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum.

Have you seen these two sites?

Last edited:
they made gas fires for bham council. the fires had BCHD stamped into them so you could not sell them. well not supose to.

Valor Fires in Erdington to close after 122 years - Birmingham Live
That's sad I worked there from 72 to 76 as an apprentice and then until late 78 as a draftsman.

I remember my apprentice ship initiation. They would probably get arrested nowadays. Lunchtime drink then back and up onto the bridge. I won't say anymore to protect the guilty but the polaroid of me that circulated on the shop floor was not consensual ,though it provided a lot of amusement.

Yeah that's sad as I said in a previous txt I worked in the spares dept it was a nice place to work but the boss couldn't get his round me having long hair moustache and a smart appearance ( I was in a"group") so I left

That's sad I worked there from 72 to 76 as an apprentice and then until late 78 as a draftsman.

I remember my apprentice ship initiation. They would probably get arrested nowadays. Lunchtime drink then back and up onto the bridge. I won't say anymore to protect the guilty but the polaroid of me that circulated on the shop floor was not consensual ,though it provided a lot of amusement.
Ah yes, the good old days! Apprenticeship initiation, many of us would prefer to forget (not just at Valor). Mine was at Brooke Tool.

Back