• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washday Copper Boilers Mangles

I was brought up in my Nan's house. We had a copper in the scullery and a mangle in what we called the lobby an outside area which led to the toilet and back door.
I too helped Nan feed the washing through a very scary job! I also remember the blue bag in the wash and the big wooden tongs. Writing this I can almost smell washing day in the 50s.
Ah, the blue bag! How can we forget that little thing! It seems like we are going full circle with things we drop in the wash so that they are soft or smell good! Great reminder cba!

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Growing up we had an electric wash boiler (Dad worked for MEB).
It used to be filled on Sunday night. Put on early Monday morning to heat up so Mom could do the washing. It was next to the sink and Mom used a big stick to put items into cold water in the sink to rinse them. Taking care not to burn her fingers. Then they went through the wringer before being, hopefully, pegged out.
Everything seemed to be washed at the same, hot, temperature or hand washed.
I can smell the steamy kitchen now lol.

I was brought up in my Nan's house. We had a copper in the scullery and a mangle in what we called the lobby an outside area which led to the toilet and back door.
I too helped Nan feed the washing through a very scary job! I also remember the blue bag in the wash and the big wooden tongs. Writing this I can almost smell washing day in the 50s.
mom had some of them too:grinning:1716904108013.jpeg

Growing up we had an electric wash boiler (Dad worked for MEB).
It used to be filled on Sunday night. Put on early Monday morning to heat up so Mom could do the washing. It was next to the sink and Mom used a big stick to put items into cold water in the sink to rinse them. Taking care not to burn her fingers. Then they went through the wringer before being, hopefully, pegged out.
Everything seemed to be washed at the same, hot, temperature or hand washed.
I can smell the steamy kitchen now lol.
Reading your post Janice, I am remembering in my teams all of those broken buttons from the mangle.

Reading your post Janice, I am remembering in my teams all of those broken buttons from the mangle.

Hi Richard,

We used to feed the buttons through just past the right hand end of the rollers.
This position was very close to the gears, and you had to be very careful not to catch
your fingers. Lots of near misses!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Richard,

We used to feed the buttons through just past the right hand end of the rollers.
This position was very close to the gears, and you had to be very careful not to catch
your fingers. Lots of near misses!

Kind regards
Dave
Dave, my mom did that unfortunately I did not also those gears had a way of attracting my fingers, all too many times.

Best..........

Back