• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Barmy Pub

Greenways6

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone tell me the whereabouts of the Binton Barn Hotel, nicknamed "The Barmy Pub," please? This was mentioned as a place an American lady was staying in 1952 when visiting some relatives who lived in Stanmore Road, Edgbaston.

From 1950 kellys directory:
Binton Barn Hotel (Horace V, Caldwell), 127 Portland.Rd 16. Edgbaston 4079

hi mike
was that or not that it was on the corner of gilliot rd and and portland rd edgbaston ;as i seem to recall
in the later years got run down and delected but some one bought it and started to redeco it out ;
best wishes astonian; alan;;;;

Alan
Kellys does not list all the numbers, but it is the last to be listed before Gillot Road, so is either on the corner or close to it. There is also listed at the same number The Binton club

Alan
Kellys does not list all the numbers, but it is the last to be listed before Gillot Road, so is either on the corner or close to it. There is also listed at the same number The Binton club
Yes my parents bought the hotel in the early 1970s and also opened the drinking club which was a private members club. They sold the business 13 years later.

Yes my parents bought the hotel in the early 1970s and also opened the drinking club which was a private members club. They sold the business 13 years later.
Rob, do you remember my family. We used to hang out together. We lived on Gillott Road. Adrian Lorraine and Debbie?

My honeymoon night was spent at The Binton Barn in January 1982. The was a bottle of Pomagne left in the room for us which on opening, the cork shot straight at the lampshade, which was one of those constructed of several pieces of plastic slotted together. The lampshade shattered into many pieces and we spent the night attempting the puzzle of trying to reconstruct it whilst heavily under the influence of alcohol.
Memorable night. Not necessarily for the right reason.

Please read my post 12.11.21. Your parents must have been the owners at the time of my honeymoon.
My husband used to drink there regularly.

Alemap.
Rob1967 is still a member of the forum, but does not seem to have accessed it for over two years, though he might still see your post

I stayed at the Binton Barn in late 1977, for 3 months, whilst I looked for accommodation. Things that stood out - given access to kitchen to make a late brew, started to watch Happy Days, late drinking hours threw up some celebs namely Andy Gray the ex Villa footballer and Bob Willis the late England cricketer. Bar was always frequented by the law who could put it away. Had a lovely little rumble in the jungle with a rather hot lady and watched with interest the ladies of the night hanging around the phone box across the road. I loved it. - great days.

Back