• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zion Chapel Lyric Cinema

rowan

Born a Brummie
Please can anyone tell me about the Zion Chapel please? It was somewhere in Birmingham about 1850.

Many thanks:)

Try,

Birmingham Mount Zion Graham Street

Birmingham Zion Chapel Newhall Street.

pmc1947

Thank you pmc 1947.

I wonder, is there a picture of the Zion Chapel in Newhall Street?

Better late than never

Attachments

• birmingham5b[1].jpg
    birmingham5b[1].jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 47
  • birmingham3[1].jpg
    birmingham3[1].jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 42
This building was originally Mount Zion Chapel (George Dawson preached here), then became Queens Hall and was finally used as the Lyric Cinema. As far as I can see on Streetview this building has now gone. Viv.

499057F4-9FF7-4C00-A334-56945233BC05.jpeg

Attachments

• F4144EC8-1AC3-46CE-979A-37065D484915.jpeg
    F4144EC8-1AC3-46CE-979A-37065D484915.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 23
Better late than never

Postie, (also later than never!) my family attended this chapel in the early 1800's. They were Particular Baptists - I've always wondered where that strange name came from. If I remember correctly the chapel was on the corner of Newhall Street and Lionel Street, is that right does anyone know? I think there was a hospital nearby, either for women or a 'skin and lock' one. Must unearth my papers. Something to do at this time?

Postie, (also later than never!) my family attended this chapel in the early 1800's. They were Particular Baptists - I've always wondered where that strange name came from. If I remember correctly the chapel was on the corner of Newhall Street and Lionel Street, is that right does anyone know? I think there was a hospital nearby, either for women or a 'skin and lock' one. Must unearth my papers. Something to do at this time?

Hey There! The chapel was indeed on the corner of Newhall and Lionel. It started as a Swedenborgian Church, the first Swedenborgian Temple in the world, acatually. You can read about it here: http://www.newchurchhistory.org/funfacts/index0a10.html?p=115

The article includes a schematic of the building as it was in 1916.

A New Church minister has recently re-rendered the building as it looked at its dedication in 1791. You can see that here:

Back