• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Zig Zag Bridge Packhorse Bridge Aldridge Road

Taken from the listing at Historic England

ALDRIDGE ROAD 1. 5104 Perry Bar B42 Perry Bridge (formerly listed as Packhorse Bridge) SP 09 SE 3/1 25.4.52 II 2. "C18 refurbishing of a medieval bridge. Stone, four segmental arches 2 of them over the River Tame and the outer 2 over the paths either side of the river. Three cutwaters, one in the middle of the river and one at either bank and further cutwaters on the causeway continuation of the bridge on the north bank.

That’s cleared up a question I had about this Bridge. I couldn’t imagine it was always called the ZigZag Bridge - I think it was a term which started in use in the 1700s. Another question: did it have the passing places when it was Packhorse Bridge ?

I’ve added the name to the title of this thread for future references/searches. Viv.

That’s cleared up a question I had about this Bridge. I couldn’t imagine it was always called the ZigZag Bridge - I think it was a term which started in use in the 1700s. Another question: did it have the passing places when it was Packhorse Bridge ?

I’ve added the name to the title of this thread for future references/searches. Viv.
Yes this was to allow the pedestrians a refuge when a cart came past.

Back