• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

YouTube

Big Gee

master brummie
Can one of you clever computer-people out there please advise how I can retrieve YouTube? For no known reason I can no longer connect - it times out.

Thanks in advance,

Big Gee

I don't know the answer but if you put in "connecting to youtube times out" in google search ,it may give you the answer.

Terry

I am not sure, but I think that you can only sign in You Tube after signing up for a Google account.
They changed it a while back. It may be that when you sign in to your google account, if you have one, it will load ok.

Have tried 'remedies' from the net, but didn't work. The odd thing is that it's fine on my lap-top, only the PC is giving a problem. Now my missus tells me it's done it before on the PC, but miraculously returned at a later date. One thing I learned off the net is that disappearing YouTube is not an uncommon thing, but it seems no-one knows how to fix it. Weird.

Big Gee

Hi Mohawk,

thanks for this, but I get a "404 Not Found" alert when I try your link! Crazy! Yes, I can play BBC iPlayer. I think you're right - it's an obscure setting somewhere.

Big Gee

If I click on mohawks google link above it works fine for me.

What happens if you type the Youtube web address in your browser task bar

Or click on the link below

https://www.youtube.com/

Now how about this YouTube web link below (it is the same as the one above but now says HTTPS meaning it is a secure site)

https://www.youtube.com/

A 404 error means your web browser was able to contact the web site, but the web site could not find what you were requestng.

Guilbert,

https - I get a 404. Https - I get 'cannot display the webpage'.

Alf,

same with your link - 'cannot display the webpage'.

I've never had to sign up for YouTube - I only use it to watch videos of singers I like. Just type in the artist's name + YouTube, and I get a selection.
Like I say, I have no problem with my lap-top and neither does my missus with hers, so I ain't being deprived of my musical 'fix'. It would seem that the problem on my PC is intermittent. I think I'll have a word with the computer-technician at my old company and see if he has a solution. All very odd.

Thanks for your help, fellas!

Big Gee

I thought he meant signing into YouTube, which does involve Google account now.

Actually, not meaning to advertise them but you can sign in without broadcasting yourself, you can just create your own playlists for yourself, useful if you like certain singers or whatever you like.

Guess you have tried with other browsers, checked flash updates?

Time out errors have been known to be caused by InternetExplorer; clean out the catch and cookies then try resetting it.

To start, delete your browsing history (note make sure youknow your passwords and user sign on names to websites like this one)

Tools>Internet Options> on the general tab you willsee a section Browsing History, press the Delete… button.

This may take a few minutes, then

Tools>Internet Options> click on the Advanced tab,then click the Reset… button.

You will have to reset your Home page and search provider whendone.

If this does not work, you may have malware on your PC, comeback for further advice.

Hi Big Gee,
If you have not already done so, try running CCleaner with it's analyse and registry fix. Maybe use a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox. It may be advisable to have a good 'work out' with your virus and anti malware scans, possibly running in safe mode. Last year I had to use Avast in 'boot check' mode, which is checking before Windows starts, took a long time, but it found a 'rootkit'.
oldmohawk...:)

I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Command Anti-Virus regularly, and it seems my PC is as clean as I can get it. Don't have any other sign of nasties, touch wood. I can't get YouTube on any browser, which very strongly suggests there's a wrong setting somewhere in the computer. My computer-wise neighbour says it it's happened before then leave it and see if it comes back again! As I said, I can get YouTube on my lap-top, so no real problem. I'm just puzzled, that's all!

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Big Gee

Back