• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Youth Clubs, Conway Road Youth Club

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have tried to find news of old youth clubs and their members, but failed. I would be interested in hearing from Conway Youth Club, Sparkbrook, members, around the late 1940/50's. Hopefully there are still some of you out there alive and kicking. I am still in touch with Clive Davis, although he now lives in Manchester. Also Gordon Edwards and I keep in touch.

Dennis,

I started this link in the hope of seeing if any old (emphasis on old) members were still alive. In a round about way, I found you. I recall you from school days, and had no idea that you were a Conway Road Youth Club member until recently. Somewhere in the loft, I do have a photograph, taken at the Club, of the little band that we had in those days. I will dig it out and put it online. Names that I recall are Alf Bevin (pianist and organizer of many things at Conway Road). Mr Gent, who ran the club. Gordon Edwards, John Clayton, John Graham, Mavis Green (my first girlfriend)!, Alf Titchen, Rick (Mac) McGlennon, David Lilley, Harold Stait, a lovely young girl named Alma. I still have a cricket team list, included are the following: Fred Harris, Maurice Talifero, C. Worrall, W. Fazackerley, Vic Malsbury, B.Reeves, Do you remember any of those names? I hope that you may be able to recall other names. Eddie

The Square Club, Weoley Castle Square, Birmingham 29, this was a genuine Youth club with all facility's in the early 60's, dances, sports, games, camping trips, and day visits to many parts of the country. Paul

Dennis,

I started this link in the hope of seeing if any old (emphasis on old) members were still alive. In a round about way, I found you. I recall you from school days, and had no idea that you were a Conway Road Youth Club member until recently. Somewhere in the loft, I do have a photograph, taken at the Club, of the little band that we had in those days. I will dig it out and put it online. Names that I recall are Alf Bevin (pianist and organizer of many things at Conway Road). Mr Gent, who ran the club. Gordon Edwards, John Clayton, John Graham, Mavis Green (my first girlfriend)!, Alf Titchen, Rick (Mac) McGlennon, David Lilley, Harold Stait, a lovely young girl named Alma. I still have a cricket team list, included are the following: Fred Harris, Maurice Talifero, C. Worrall, W. Fazackerley, Vic Malsbury, B.Reeves, Do you remember any of those names? I hope that you may be able to recall other names. Eddie
Hi Norfolk Brummie, do you recall there being a Jazz Club at Conway School? Apparently there are signs indicating that there was a Jazz Club in what would have been the basement of the school? I'm going to go and have a look but I wonder if anyone knows about this?

Hi again. I visited Conway School yesterday and was lucky enough to be taken into the basement which served as the air raid shelter for the school and where the mysterious Conway Jazz Club and Studio 51 signs have been painted onto the walls. Would really like to solve the mystery of the Conway Jazz Club!

Attachments

• IMG_4883.JPG
    IMG_4883.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4885.JPG
    IMG_4885.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
Hi Norfolk Brummie, do you recall there being a Jazz Club at Conway School? Apparently there are signs indicating that there was a Jazz Club in what would have been the basement of the school? I'm going to go and have a look but I wonder if anyone knows about this?
Hello I know this is a bit late but my father Dennis Jukes was in the Conway Club in the late 1940's eraly 50's we have photos of him in a panto we think from 50/51 when he was 19-20. He is 90 this year and it would be good to hear form anyone who was at the club at the same time.

Attachments

• Conway Club Panto Cast Picture approx 1950.JPG
    Conway Club Panto Cast Picture approx 1950.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Conway Club Panto Mrs Gent & Cast incl Dennis Jukes 2nd left approx 1950.JPG
    Conway Club Panto Mrs Gent & Cast incl Dennis Jukes 2nd left approx 1950.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 6
Back