• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your oldest domestic tool

I suppose with the availability of pocket calculators, you don’t need log tables now. You can also work out the logs of numbers with a calculators too.

Dad had his mileage calculator at the back of his book of the road. I still use that. I have an em rule(r) or typescale when the compositors were made redundant at the newspaper where I worked.

Dad had his mileage calculator at the back of his book of the road. I still use that. I have an em rule(r) or typescale when the compositors were made redundant at the newspaper where I worked.

I have one of these (in blue) somewhere in a box.
telulog.jpg
Source: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic-car-images/telulog.jpg

Haven't used it for the last few cars though.

I have never ever seen an em rule. Not surprising given my career path.

Andrew.

IMPORTANT If any of you have Selenium type exposure meters, DON’T keep them in the dark, they need exposure to light to keep them working, I have a 1935 Gossen Umbrux light meter still works, but I would not vouch for its accuracy, AC.

QUOTE="Brummie a long time ago, post: 755386, member: 130270"]
Keeping it domestic, if you have an old photographic light meter, Weston or similar, look at the scale. Logarithmic.

View attachment 167815
Source: http://www.guidetofilmphotography.com/photos/light-meter.jpg

Andrew.
[/QUOTE]

Yes Mort, the calculator can work out the logs. However what I have found is that the actual meaning/use of logs, anti logs et al has been lost on most of the younger generation!
It is funny that you should mention logs etc Richard. I still have the little logarithms hand books that I used in school and engineering. I moved them a week or so ago and of course cannot find them at this minute. However, I did lay hands on my copy of "The Calculus - Arithmetic of the Age", by G.P Rawlings O.B.E., M.A. (OXON) priced FIVE SHILLINGS NET!

The same is true in the modern computing age, compared to my exposure and learning experiences in the '60s-'70s.

Modern automotive networks are wide and varied in design and with vehicle autonomy at the mercy of cyber attacks, network security is in a constant state of development. While diagnostic techncians mostly don't care about or need in-depth knowledge about computing at the basic level, the course developer for a new course that I deliver, decided that they do need to visit some basic concepts of binary, decimal, hexadecimal etc.

I prepared some calculations by hand as we would have back in the day, in case anyone had any desire to learn without a calculator. None have taken the bait to day.

As you alluded, because of calculators the younger generations simply "Google" search for an appropriate calculator when needed to find a value. However, they do not tend to understand the calculation unless explained.

I have cause to demonstrate a slide or two, during the new course. The developer had originally intended a fair bit more, but we reduced it down to a couple of quick references to explain bits, words and arbitration at the basic level.

The modern generations simply want to know, "What use is this, why should I do this and how will I benefit?" Rather than force-feeding, maths suitable to application in a career field of choice is more appropriate. However, examinations always lag reality by several years and students whom might do well in classes aligned with their needs are forced to "drink the KoolAid®".

Martin

Attachments

• 8 Bit.JPG
    8 Bit.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 8
It is funny that you should mention logs etc Richard. I still have the little logarithms hand books that I used in school and engineering. I moved them a week or so ago and of course cannot find them at this minute. However, I did lay hands on my copy of "The Calculus - Arithmetic of the Age", by G.P Rawlings O.B.E., M.A. (OXON) priced FIVE SHILLINGS NET!

The same is true in the modern computing age, compared to my exposure and learning experiences in the '60s-'70s.

Modern automotive networks are wide and varied in design and with vehicle autonomy at the mercy of cyber attacks, network security is in a constant state of development. While diagnostic techncians mostly don't care about or need in-depth knowledge about computing at the basic level, the course developer for a new course that I deliver, decided that they do need to visit some basic concepts of binary, decimal, hexadecimal etc.

I prepared some calculations by hand as we would have back in the day, in case anyone had any desire to learn without a calculator. None have taken the bait to day.

As you alluded, because of calculators the younger generations simply "Google" search for an appropriate calculator when needed to find a value. However, they do not tend to understand the calculation unless explained.

I have cause to demonstrate a slide or two, during the new course. The developer had originally intended a fair bit more, but we reduced it down to a couple of quick references to explain bits, words and arbitration at the basic level.

The modern generations simply want to know, "What use is this, why should I do this and how will I benefit?" Rather than force-feeding, maths suitable to application in a career field of choice is more appropriate. However, examinations always lag reality by several years and students whom might do well in classes aligned with their needs are forced to "drink the KoolAid®".

Martin
Oh my goodness Martin you just brought back some very distant memories! Thank you (I think :) ). about 8 years ago I ran into the same problem with six sigma training. Everyone waited for the excel spread sheet to provide the statistical results, yet were not interested where the statistics came from just the number. Ergo their ability to solve the real problem was severely diminished!
I think we might have similar backgrounds with automotive networks which would include passenger cars and trucks.

Oh my goodness Martin you just brought back some very distant memories! Thank you (I think :) ). about 8 years ago I ran into the same problem with six sigma training. Everyone waited for the excel spread sheet to provide the statistical results, yet were not interested where the statistics came from just the number. Ergo their ability to solve the real problem was severely diminished!
I think we might have similar backgrounds with automotive networks which would include passenger cars and trucks.
Richard, it's almost uncanny how conversations can lead to common memories and experiences, that often identify or discuss places, buildings or people whom we haven't been able to locate for years.

BTW, in my reply above, I did update it with my old logarithms books and a few others that I brought to Canada when I immigrated in 1974.

If challenged by a student when explaining a concept long displaced by a computer or calculator, I simply ask how they could get the result in the event of a power loss or battery failure, when a calculation must be made. I know that working through Ohm's Law calculations, it can be difficult for some to grasp the concepts.

Discussing how technicians use Ohm and Kirchhoff's when working on vehicle systems to understand the characteristic relationships of amperage, resistance and voltage, then challenging it all with on vehicle or mock-up activities, makes it clear.

Beyond my first 12 years in the trade after I exited engineering, I spent 23 years as a technician at a local GM dealership here in BC. I followed with 15 years leading our GM ASEP apprenticeship for my current employer BCIT, before returning to the Product Service Training Centre in 2018, where I am the Department Head and instructor for BC GM dealership technician training.

Beyond my mechanical expertise, vehicle networks are very much a focus in my work, with CAN, CAN FD, MOST, Ethernet and LIN bus, being the current areas of network training.

BTW, when I edited my earlier reply, it somehow got duplicated. I will figure out where the delete button is a little later, but my wife is waiting for me to install a new blind in the kitchen window!

Martin

Martin
Members can edit and delete the content of their posts, but not the actual post. I have deleted your duplicate post

Last edited:
Martin
Members can edit and delete the content of their posts, but not the actual post. I have deleted your duplicate post
Thank you mikejee. I usually have no issues, but think that when I uploaded a photo to edit my original reply, I accidentally saved it as a reply!

Back