• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your oldest domestic tool

Graham I had one of those thingies but mine used to go rusty so I binned it. It was brilliant though and have gone back to cutting the potatoes on a board. Have a modern version of the cutter but don't use it.:rolleyes:. Jean.

I am still using my moms Avery scales and will post a photo later when I have come back from the pub. [If we ever get there]?. Jean.

Betty Liz why not come into the snug and make up the numbers [off topic] but my other half does any chores about the house apart from COOK. I still have kitchen thingies that my dogg chewed the handles to bits and I have not the heart to get rid so have kept them in a bag. She was only a pup mind. Jean.

Hi Cadeau, If the Belgians invented chips why are they called French Frys??Did the Froggies steal the idea? Bernard

Bernard that's a good point and if you read this excerpt from a piece I wrote for internet some years ago I'm sure you will find an answer to your question.

What could be more typically Belgian than ‘frieten’ (French fried potatoes)? I can remember an article in an English cycling magazine some time ago where they ‘tried’ to sketch a picture of life in Belgium and had Alan Peiper initiating British cyclists into the occult art of making ‘world famous’ Belgian French fries. Well I can tell you he didn’t have a clue!

History would have us believe that the Belgians invented chips so it is only normal that they have a reputation to uphold. The story goes back to the year 1680 when the poor inhabitants of Namur, and other towns in the area, used to fry whole small fish that they had caught in the nearby river Meuse, this to supplement their meals. But when the river was frozen over, or in times of flooding when it was too dangerous to go fishing, they would cut potatoes into fish shapes or cut them lengthwise and fry them as an accompaniment to their meals. By the year 1900 frieten were a staple diet of the Belgians, but were still almost unknown to their Dutch neighbours. It is said that the first Dutch ‘frietkot’ appeared in 1905 at the Bergen op Zoom fair ground and then travelled all over the country so spreading the fame of the ‘friet’, or ‘patat’ as it is known in the Netherlands.

The English name for friet, French fries, is said to have originated from the allied British & America soldiers of the First World War who tasted Belgian ‘frieten’ for the first time. Because in those days the official language of the Belgian military was French, the allied soldiers called these ‘pommes de terre frites’ French fries. Probably originating from the French verb ‘frire’ meaning deep-fried and it’s conjugation in the past participle ‘frites’ and used with the plural feminine substantive as in ‘pommes de terre frites’ (deep-fried potatoes). But there is evidence from American cook books that the term ‘French fried potatoes’ was in use long before the First World War. In 1860 the first ‘chips’ were fried in England at Tommyfield Market in Oldham, and the first town in Scotland to succumb to this temptation was Dundee.

Graham.

Married 54 years and still have and use a wooden ironing board bought from Woolworth's, High Street, Erdington roundabout 1961/2.
Wife says, it's had a few different covers, do they count?
Shan't bother getting a new one, wouldn't get me monies worth out of it.

a b&d drill attachment to cut my hedge

Attachments

• 1643133475286.png
    1643133475286.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1643133692065.png
    1643133692065.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Old-Vintage-Black-Decker-Hedge-Trimmer-Attachment.jpg
    Old-Vintage-Black-Decker-Hedge-Trimmer-Attachment.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I still have one of these B&D drills with attachments and box's, together with an original AA, plastic replacement wind screen, and turn of the 20th C, of various sizes, bricklayers wooden levels, and plumb lines.??

Only just come across this thread today. Timely perhaps because I am just sending off a box of old 'goodies' to a nine year old lad, I read about in Peoples Friend a few weeks ago. He has started a little Museum in his Gran's shed. It really inspired me and as he was interested in things relating to the war I have sent him an oil lamp we used to use when we went down the shelter during the war. Also included a small ball pane hammer that I first used 87 years ago at the age of three when my parents went to a funeral and gave me some 1/2 inch nails to knock into the ends of the leg of a stool. Also include a slide rule used when I went to Handsworth Tech in 1945/46. Also included several other things bought when a kid including a John Bull printing set

What is the longest serving domestic tool you use around the home?
fridge, tv, lawnmower or what.
We have a fridge (GEC COLDSPACE) still on good working order after 47 year, I purchased it from the old GEC MAGNET CLUB SHOP Witton back in 1962. Its now used as my extra beer store LOL:D
Not domestic but I still regularly use some of my Dad's old tools from his time as a machine tool fitter at Lucas Aerospace and before that at The Nuffield - micrometers/spanners/circlip pliers and internal/external calipers etc when working on my Lambretta.

I still use my Nan's apple corer which I remember her using when I was little. Mom had it for years and now it's still really useful for making baked apples filled with raisins and brown sugar or honey. Sometimes if the apples are quite hard I have to bash it with a rolling pin to get it through.

On clearing my late Dad's flat I have found my Mother's mixing bowl. I have fond memories of "helping" stir the Christmas puddings in it. So the bowl was probably acquired when my parents married in 1950. Needless to say it will not be thrown out but will come home with me. Will post a photo when I get it home.

Sometimes i feel we might throw things away because they are deemed to be old.

Unfortunately in most cases the replacement we purchase isn't as good or doesn't
last as long.

AnnS...

On clearing my late Dad's flat I have found my Mother's mixing bowl. I have fond memories of "helping" stir the Christmas puddings in it. So the bowl was probably acquired when my parents married in 1950. Needless to say it will not be thrown out but will come home with me. Will post a photo when I get it home.
Janice, is that one of those creamy yellow colored ones?

Yes. Will collect it tomorrow - couldn't carry it on Tuesday
My wife has one of those, her mothers she loves to bake with our grandchildren. But it is SO heavy and difficult to handle with arthritis in your hands.
A couple of years she bought a set of flowery stackable plastic ones that are very easy to handle for everyone and have proven to be quite durable.

My Nan's old flat iron. There were two, but only have the smaller one. I can remember her heating them on a gas hob to do her ironing. No idea of its origin or how old it is but was used up until around 1967. Sadly, the manufacturer details are so rusted I cant read it. Looks something like - E Pugh & Co, the No6 I'm guessing is a size or weight and first two letters at the bottom look like MEA-----?

No longer used for ironing, far too rusty, but makes a good door stop. Any ideas on age, manufacture etc? My Grandparents married in 1930 so the date of manufacture could span either side of that date.

1643304102540.png

Last edited:
E Pugh were a firm from Wednesbury who made flat irons. As I found a no 8 on an auction site I guess it does relate to size or weight of the iron.

1643305420652.png

Back