• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Your Garden Tools Old & New

Post Office Engineering Training school test piece, a Tap Wrench, i was 15yrs young circa 1944, i used it all through my engineering working life until my retirement, 2053 was my works number, i left P/Office for N/Service never went back. Len.

I think it will break in two if you use it Pete. Pete has one he uses to cut pegs out down the river when they become overgrown. Jean.

Len excuse my ignorance [I am a woman] but what did you have to do with the tap wrench?. Thanks Jean.

what did you have to do with the tap wrench?
It hold taps, not the ones you get water or beer from but the ones that cut screw threads into holes so that you can screw bolts or screws in. Here's a commercially produced one.
I still have the one I made as an apprentice, somewhere. It has my Metro-Cammell works number on (9176).

The thing that puts the thread on a rod so you can screw nuts on it a 'die'.

If you wanted to put a thread in drilled hole in a piece of metal so a machine screw or bolt could be used to join another piece of metal to it you used a Hardened Steel Tap and held it in Tap Wrench, confusing aint`it!!. Len.

Thanks Lloyd but it is a mans thing. I understand more know. Jean. I have a couple more tools to sort out but I am being watched at the mo. Sort them out later. Jean.

It hold taps, not the ones you get water or beer from but the ones that cut screw threads into holes so that you can screw bolts or screws in. Here's a commercially produced one.
I still have the one I made as an apprentice, somewhere. It has my Metro-Cammell works number on (9176).

The thing that puts the thread on a rod so you can screw nuts on it a 'die'.
Jean, just think of my tap wrench with a tap in it as shown in Lloyds post. Len.

Thanks len I have just shut my eyes and are getting your image. I always wanted to be born a boy and was always in my dad's shed and had my own little saw and tiny oil can to oil the bearings on my rollers skates. Pete lent it to someone and as per usual didn't get it back. I asked the bloke for it and he had no recolection of borrowing it but it was a memory of my dad and I wasn't well pleased [with Pete either]. Jean.

My son rented a house in a Leics village and when his 68 year old next door neighbour Barry left he bought his house.
He 'inherited' a huge shed and its contents all of which had years before belonged to Barrys father.
It is like an Aladins cave of old tools and nails and screws in tobacco tins.
The garden tools include a fork and spade which are nearly too heavy to lift.
My sons favourite is the large shovel that Barrys father used down the pit in Coalville

What a find Alberta. I would love to see some photo's of them especially the shovel. I presume your son moved on from there so there wouldn't be any photo's. Would love to have seen the shovel. Jean.

No he is still there Jean,I must get some photos to post on here.
Lovely little house in a row of former miners cottages,has been extended but still has long garden complete with 2 sheds and greenhouse and open fields as far as the eye can see.

That sound a lovely place to live Alberta. Hope you can post the photo's. I would like to put my dad's watch and clock repairing tools on. My brother had them made into a picture and hangs on his wall. Will get him to copy it for me. Jean.

Back