• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your Garden Tools Old & New

Alf I have some old tools [not garden] that belonged to my dad but they wouldn't count would they?. Pete won't throw them. One is a brace?????????. Well I am a woman. Jean.

Not garden but interesting.My dad still has the combs that were his dads when he was a coach painter,c1888.

Ray there is a vice somewhere in the garage that belonged to my dad and screwdrivers. Alf why not start another thread on tools [general] old and new?. Come on you're the expert. Jean.

Jean,
I bought this fret saw from Woolworths on Aston Cross ( 1/3 ) 60 years ago,and my wife still uses it,when making dolls houses.:rolleyes:

Pete has one too that belonged to my dad. Will sort them out when it stops raining. Thanks for posting it Ray. Jean.

Alf I have some old tools [not garden] that belonged to my dad but they wouldn't count would they?. Pete won't throw them. One is a brace?????????. Well I am a woman. Jean.

Good idea Jean & Ray put them on:)

Alf: Thanks for posting the lawn mower page. I would say that the one my brother still has is the Webb Whippet...same colour. Great little machine and still working away.Something nice about those old hand pushed lawn mowers.....so unlike these
electric and gas driven ones. They make so much noise! Then we have electric hedge clippers and leaf blowers...better stop my blood pressure is surely rising.

Alf I have just been in the shed and sorted out my dad's old tools even my nans old coal hammer. Have hidden them as I am barred from the shed incase I mix Pete's things up. When he goes out for an hour tomorrow they are coming in the house to be photographed. Old hand held drills saws and a vice that I will TRY MY BEST TO MOVE. Jean.:shh::shh::shh:.

I still have a carpenters glue kettle that belonged to my Grandpa. We reckon it has to be about 89 years old now. Wonder if the solid glue he used to melt in it is still available. It used to stink when he was using it!

Mike my late uncle was a carpenter and I still have a couple of things he made for me. I hated the smell of the glue was it a kind of cow gum or something. Thick yellow if my memory serves me well. Jaen.

That's the stuff Jean, it was melted down horses (true). In the 1950's/60's there was a glue factory just outside Temple Meads railway station in Bristol and the stink there was awfull as you came in on the train.:thumbsdown:
Mike

Imke my uncle told porky pies as he said it was made from cows parts. My old dog ate the backbone of some books that had what I thought had cow gum glueing them together. Feel a bit queezy now Kmei. Jnae.:cry:.

Good News - you can still get the solid glue for use in glue pots. Very handy if repairing old furniture that may need restoration again in 50 years time. I got my last lot from a place near the Quarter.

These are some old tools that belonged to my dad. You fellas can put a name to them as I sneaked in Pete's shed whipped them out to photograph them and whipped them straight back in again. Hallowed ground his shed. Jean.

I have loads of old tools similar to everyone elses but the most interesting is perhaps a Jaylo, a multi-purpose manual plough, hoe, scuffle etc. I think it was made by a jirm called J. Lowe.
I have a pair of work shoes, bought by Mother when I started work for £2/5s. I still wear them in the garden, and we shall have a birthday party for them in a couple of years when they are 50!
Ted

First photo:

1) Cross cut saw

2) 'Cross and Straight Pein' and 'Ball Pein' Hammers.

3) Hand Brace primarily for wood.

Second photo:

1) 'Swing Brace' for boring holes in wood with a bit hence ' Brace and Bit'. Jean the round part was pressed by the shoulder to provide the force required to get the wood bit through the wood.

2)Engineers Vice

and lastly possibly a photo of a bird what flew away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Post Office Engineering Training school test piece, a Tap Wrench, i was 15yrs young circa 1944, i used it all through my engineering working life until my retirement, 2053 was my works number, i left P/Office for N/Service never went back. Len.

I think it will break in two if you use it Pete. Pete has one he uses to cut pegs out down the river when they become overgrown. Jean.

Len excuse my ignorance [I am a woman] but what did you have to do with the tap wrench?. Thanks Jean.

what did you have to do with the tap wrench?
It hold taps, not the ones you get water or beer from but the ones that cut screw threads into holes so that you can screw bolts or screws in. Here's a commercially produced one.
I still have the one I made as an apprentice, somewhere. It has my Metro-Cammell works number on (9176).

The thing that puts the thread on a rod so you can screw nuts on it a 'die'.

If you wanted to put a thread in drilled hole in a piece of metal so a machine screw or bolt could be used to join another piece of metal to it you used a Hardened Steel Tap and held it in Tap Wrench, confusing aint`it!!. Len.

Thanks Lloyd but it is a mans thing. I understand more know. Jean. I have a couple more tools to sort out but I am being watched at the mo. Sort them out later. Jean.

It hold taps, not the ones you get water or beer from but the ones that cut screw threads into holes so that you can screw bolts or screws in. Here's a commercially produced one.
I still have the one I made as an apprentice, somewhere. It has my Metro-Cammell works number on (9176).

The thing that puts the thread on a rod so you can screw nuts on it a 'die'.
Jean, just think of my tap wrench with a tap in it as shown in Lloyds post. Len.

Back