• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your garden bench as a child.

Thats a better picture of Jeans aunt Tom standing by the Judy Dench:D:D:DMau-reece

Pat thanks for posting that photo it brings back some lovely memories. If my memory serves me well were you the first to have a bathroom outside and it used to fill with steam?. Jean.

Yes dad built one on Jean, I cant remember that tree though. dad built a big shed up the garden do you remember, we used to play in it, it was as big as a chalet, he always had to go over the top. I think I have one in later times and you can see the shed and mom with the broom. She always had that broom on the go, sweeping down the entry and the front. I think they all did it so they could meet up on the front sweeping and have a natter.

Pat I do indeed remember your dads shed and I had ideas that when I grew up and bought a horse I would get my dad to build one to keep it in. Jean.

Found this picture from my mothers collection, I have no idea who they are or where, but obviously my mom knew them cos on the back is the name Mrs Johnson. It seems they could'nt afford a garden bench.

Terry

Hanco at my nans houses a back to back and it was always the step people sat on. Even though it was a very small house they had a yard and a back garden. Oh I forgot the folks at the first house did have a bench of sorts but they were posher than everyone else. [Or thought they were]. Jean.

We didn't have a garden bench. Dad built at fairly large step in front of the french doors and that's where I used to sit and play with friends, etc.
Later on he put in a concrete patio himself in front of the back of the house. Mom had an armchair she didn't use in the house and that came out on fine days. Not sure where Dad sat!

Lovely photos everyone. I used to go to my friend Christine's house to dress up and put on shows. There was an area we used as a dressing room out of sight of the small audience. We would have a presenter and they would introduce the "acts". I borrowed my Mom's windup gramophone for the shows we kids would put on. I remember dancing to "Lazy Bones". The boys used to giggle and make us cross but it was great fun.

Al mines been like that for 20 years. I'm sure I'd be rich if I did e-bay:)

I even have a Harris tweed Sports Jacket in the Wardrobe I bought 16 years ago at a closing down sale at Good old Dunn's and I have never worn it only to try it on.:rolleyes:

Two more photo's of the bench in our garden when I was a child. The first is my brother with dad. Jean.

Garden bench!!!! we did'nt even have a garden in the old back to backs:D

My nan lived in a back to back too but had a tiny garden with a chair by her back door in Franchise street as did everyone else and they used to chat whenever they could. I might even put a bench on our drive and see what happens. I think the I would be certified. Jean.

Jean the woman used to ''cant'' talk...at the bottom of the entry back in the good old days

Our garden was full of junk with 4 brothers and 5 sisters we had no room for grass it was covered in go-carts prams some with no wheels which had been used on better things i.e. the go-carts and bikes in between the rubbish the Alsation dog used to try and catch any cat that ran along the top wall sad to say some ran out of their nine lives life was manic but we made our own entertainment. Dek

This is a photo of myself and three friends. I forgot I had this photo till I had another mooch through my box. From the left. Lorraine NixonJean Janet Reading myself and Cherrolyn Bowen. Dek we even had a fish pond. It was the old kitchen sink. Jean.

Last edited:
Coming back to this tread and having given it more thought, if we had Grass & a Bench we would have eaten the Grass & used the Bench as Firewood, I'm sure

You can see by #51 that we didn't go short Alf but I had two aunts who were childless and I was spoilt rotton. Didn't require fire wood as mom had it as part payment when she worked at Horsleys wood yard round the corner. Mind you you could have lit the fire with the splinters she used to have in her hands and fingers. Jean.

Back