• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your garden bench as a child.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Did you have a garden bench that the whole family shared?. Our was at the bottom of our garden under the lilac tre [shrub]. Jean.

Oh Maggie that is so sad. We had a very small garden but that bench is in so many very very old photo's with so many of my aunts and mom and and old friends on. Jean.

Jean even though we didn't have a garden my dad always used to go and get the manure the horses left in the road..never knew what he did with it:)..it wasn't really sad cos at the time no-one I knew had a garden so we didn't know any better:)

We had a wooden Tram seat in the garden for years, can't remember what happened to it?:confused2::(

Our garden bench is in the back ground to the left. Will sort some photo's out from latter years. Jean.

Sorry Jean Newtown Row Aston and any Bomb Peck was our Garden. Didn't have one of those bikes either.
But we had a Gas Light in our Yard

Got one or two now and 3 Benches.:)

Last edited:
Hanco how was that possible as Maggie did not have a garden?????????. Jean.

Maggie lived a few doors from me and no one had a garden. Being a bit facetious thats all. I was telling Maggie that when I was 9 or 10 my teacher asked me what the colour of grass is, I said " whats grass?":rolleyes:

Terry

We had a wooden Tram seat in the garden for years, can't remember what happened to it?:confused2::(

Your Dad took it back Froth and told you the Fairies wanted it for their new Tram Service at Blackpool and it would be covered with Fairy Lights.

The nearest Grass to us was Blew Street Park and that was covered in Tarmac:)

Alf do ya remember a man used to come around just as it was getting dark to light those gas lamps:)

Hanco the colour was green but we only had a few glades. Enough for the tortoises to toddle on. Jean.

Just like this one Alf:)

25124_1.jpg

Maggie Yes he came to light the lamps, I believe he was the one who also knocked the workers up in the morning..

Froth wooden you give a couple of quid for that now. Nice:)

Alf you just bought back some memories:):) yes it was the same guy used to knock on the bedroom windows with a long pole to get the workers up:)had forgot about that ..now it seems like only yesterday:):)

Thanks Alf I missed that thread first time around:):)
Just had a look ..brill..thanks again Alf

Last edited:
Maggie Yes he came to light the lamps, I believe he was the one who also knocked the workers up in the morning..

Don't confuse the lamplighter (council employed) with the 'Knocker-up' (employed by the factory to get the workers up early!) even if they both had long sticks.

Caption for the picture "Before the days of alarm clocks, workers - especially those in areas where there were Mills - were often woken by a rap on the window from the knocker-up. The knocker-up often worked for particular Mills, to make sure employees turned up on time. They would get up at early dawn and patrol the streets carrying a 14ft pole, that they would use to tap on a bedroom window.
A knocker-up would make up to 50 calls on a round, and was paid around a penny a visit, when there were 240 pennies in a pound. He would normally finish at about 6am, then go home for breakfast before heading to his own day job." (From a site about Rochdale, Lancs)

Lloyd that second pic is just how I remember:)My dad worked at the prison in winson green and I remember the tapping on the bedroom window till he got up.:)

Well,Alf,we had a garden in Aston,this is it underfoot,my dad was so proud of that square yard of grass.
In the photo.is my cousin,the babby is my bro.and we ate the rabbit.

Great photo Ray. Rabbits, did you have an Hook outside by the Scullery door where they would skin the Rabbits.

My Mom & the neighbours use to share Chickens One got the chicks we all helped rear them then part of the yard was dug up and fenced and they were
fed with the scraps and it was always good at Christmas.:)

There's that bench in the background again. Aunt Floss is in the foreground. Jean.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that is not mom but has to be my aunt Annie or Beatie. I have never looked closely at it as it's not a very good photo. Jean.

Back