• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Your Claim To Fame

I was once in the small lounge of a Yorkshire Inn near Redmire, enjoying a pint of Theakston‘s XB. Three blokes sat at a table with the dominoes ready. In comes Jack Charlton and the game starts. It was very close to the Glorious Twelfth !
My daughter had her wedding and reception at the Kings Head Hotel in Richmond, North Yorkshire and Jack Charlton was there drinking with some friends.

I discover in my birth family search I am a cousin 3 times removed to Annie Tricklebank. Producer of Call The Midwife and many other superb TV series. I was invited to meet some 3rd cousins in Sheldon, Annie was invited but didn't come. It was one of their 60th birthdays.They tell me she is quite shy.
Not my claim but, my Uncle's late companion, was 2nd cousin to Oscar Wilde. That would be a feather in anyone's cap.

nothing special for me although i did chat and shake hands with the late racing driver james hunt (the shunt) in the early 70s

lyn
That would have been when he was with Hesketh. My friend Harvey Postlethwaite designed the cars he shunted then

That would have been when he was with Hesketh. My friend Harvey Postlethwaite designed the cars he shunted then
thanks mike it was certainly between 72 and 76 and it was on a track near fradley aerodrome... james was having some fun on the track with go carts...it was a quite by chance meeting

lyn

I was once asked to welcome Sir John Hunt, of Everest fame at an annual dinner in 1960,s, Baron Kumar Bhattacharyya was a lecturer at Birmingham Polytech in 1980's , Lord Bill Morris was a shop steward in Birmingham in 1970's, Countess of Mar used to be a goat keeper in Worcestershire, Anne Widdecombe, Alvin Stardust and Lady Arran used to shop at the deli where my wife worked in 2000's. Moody Blue experts will know Paul Bliss, he's family. And I was once on local BBC news after a Three Peaks escapade, 1960's.

I have appeared on television in the quiz show Fifteen to one twice. The first time was when it was presented by William G. Stewart who was a charming man who complimented me on my choice of tie! I came fourth just missing out on the final.
The second time was about 12 or so years later on the revamped version hosted by Sandi Toksvig, who was polite and witty during the recording but I got the impression she was not too keen to chat with the "hoi-palloi" and beat a hasty retreat as soon as she could. Still I came away with a winner's trophy but didn't make the grand final show.P1010351.JPG

although covered by central news and the newspapers this is not really a claim to fame more of a massive achievement for myself and our forum members who joined in the hunt and i think what made this even more special was that the plaque for the postal workers was rededicated at the NMA on the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of ww1 and that we were able to find family members of 4 out of the 7 heroes whos names were on the plaque who all attended the service as you will read i did not mind having my photograph taken showing me with the plaque in my back garden but i declined to be interviewed by central news on the day of the service...to my mind that interview belonged to the family of our heros

this goes back to 2014 so for members who are not familiar with it click on the link below...its a very long thread so its best to start reading from post 1 to follow the amazing journey we had

lyn

Not so much a Claim to Fame as a near miss.
The first London Marathon came through Woolwich Barracks and among the runners was Jimmy Saville, resplendent in a gold lame track suit. He waved at me (gulp !) but looking back he was probably waving at my young son who was with me !

I discover in my birth family search I am a cousin 3 times removed to Annie Tricklebank. Producer of Call The Midwife and many other superb TV series. I was invited to meet some 3rd cousins in Sheldon, Annie was invited but didn't come. It was one of their 60th birthdays.They tell me she is quite shy.
Not my claim but, my Uncle's late companion, was 2nd cousin to Oscar Wilde. That would be a feather in anyone's cap.
Hi Nico, I have Tricklebanks in my ancestry too (but may not be related to Annie). One is my my 5th Great Grandmother (born in Derbyshire). Unfortunately I've never met any famous people but our daughter went to school with Chris Hemsworth (Marvel movies).

Apparently as a small baby in 1936/37, I was taken out or babysat by Hazel Court. Later on at one of thr regular shoows at the Hippodrome, when Cliff Richard was on , as I left the gents, he rushed in bumped into me, said sorry and moved on? So polite actually.
Bob

Back