• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Young William (1860 - 1916)

Okay - many thanks - my positivity meter has swung a notch in the right direction !!!

What about the first born to William and Elizabeth. She was born Ellen but was known as Nellie by a living relative a few years back. I've tended to find most first born females take the name of either the mother or the grandmother which doesn't seem to be the case here (first born male took father's name William).

Again, should I be concerned about that ?

I agree with MWS, over the years Occ's change but these seem to stay in the same vein. Everyone does things differently but I would keep digging with this family, there may be a link somewhere,

On the 1861 census entry for the family in RedmarleyD'Abitot
the family is
William Young age 63
Sarah age 62
son William age 23 born Redmarley occupation CARTER
Emma age 24 b Malvern
William age 2 b. Redmarley
George age 3 months born Redmarley

In 1871 William and Emma whose ages differ slightly from 1861 entry are in Redmarley with them, as well as other children, is son James who was with his Tyler grandparents in 1861.
William gives his occupation as Ag. lab, WAGGONER.

As others have already said I think this is your family

On the 1861 census entry for the family in RedmarleyD'Abitot
the family is
William Young age 63
Sarah age 62
son William age 23 born Redmarley occupation CARTER
Emma age 24 b Malvern
William age 2 b. Redmarley
George age 3 months born Redmarley

In 1871 William and Emma whose ages differ slightly from 1861 entry are in Redmarley with them, as well as other children, is son James who was with his Tyler grandparents in 1861.
William gives his occupation as Ag. lab, WAGGONER.

As others have already said I think this is your family

Why can't I find this 1861 census record on FindMyPast ..... I've tried each of those people in turn and there is no record !!!

Help !

This 1861 census record is not on FindMy Past but is on Ancestry ..... crazy ..... free trial started on Ancestry now !!!

Once again, very many thanks to all of you who have kick started my research ...... your expertise is much appreciated !

Now ...... where do I go from my new "stuck" point ?!!!

I appreciate I may be asking for the impossible here but my ancestral tree now reaches back to WILLIAM YOUNG (yes ANOTHER one !!!) who shows on the 1841 census at Redmarley but has Pendock as his place of birth. His birth date moves across the various census records from 1798 to 1806.

All I know is that he married a Sarah Dawding (possibly Dowding) on 27/11/1827 ("Tewkesbury").

I've checked online parish records for baptisms at Pendock but nothing close so can anybody advise where and how I might trace this person and discover his parents ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got to remember that not all the registers might be online. Some you can get from a local history society or if not it's a trip to see the actual records. And for Pendock it's probably Gloucester but it's best to check first.

Back