• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yorkswood York’s Wood camp site Castle Bromwich

OK, lets go all the way.

Ging gang, goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha / Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo
Heyla, heyla sheyla / Heyla sheyla / Heyla, ho!
Shallawalla, shallawalla! / Shallawalla, shallawalla!
Oompah-oompah! / Oompah-oompah!

(Thanks wikipedia).

I am shocked, shocked that the guides were allowed to sing such songs. Cubs and scouts yes, but ladies, and in the 60s as well.

Andrew. (Ex 131st St Andrews cubs).

OK, lets go all the way.

Shallawalla, shallawalla! / Shallawalla, shallawalla!
Oompah-oompah! / Oompah-oompah!

(Thanks wikipedia).

I am shocked, shocked that the guides were allowed to sing such songs. Cubs and scouts yes, but ladies, and in the 60s as well.

Andrew. (Ex 131st St Andrews cubs).
Thank you, I was in 231st Brownies then onto guides ,I just wonder how many groups there were in Dear old brum ,must admit I’ve just had a good singalong

Quartermaster's stores - he landed on the Tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam!
Ten Green Bottles - was a patrol leader (squirrels ) with 261st at Stechford - the scout hut was only a few metres from the bottom of my Garden - anybody remember Bob and June Dad - Bob rab the scouts and June ran the Cubs .

Thank you, I was in 231st Brownies then onto guides ,I just wonder how many groups there were in Dear old brum ,must admit I’ve just had a good singalong
I just had a look at Birmingham scouts web site, http://www.birminghamscouts.org.uk/districts/ and I counted 87 district groups. (Mine was not listed :sob:, unfortunately, neither was yours :sob::sob:). Those groups have multiple sections, such as Beaver Scout Colonies, Cub Scout Packs, Scout Troops and Explorer Scout Units. Are boys and girls together these days ?

Andrew.

I just had a look at Birmingham scouts web site, http://www.birminghamscouts.org.uk/districts/ and I counted 87 district groups. (Mine was not listed :sob:, unfortunately, neither was yours :sob::sob:). Those groups have multiple sections, such as Beaver Scout Colonies, Cub Scout Packs, Scout Troops and Explorer Scout Units. Are boys and girls together these days ?

Andrew.
Thanks for doing your homework ,and yes I think boys and girls are together these days Now proud of my old hat even though a bit worse for ware,Happy days wernt they

Attachments

• CA638C6E-DB8D-48D2-9E17-89D7025B4E3A.jpeg
    CA638C6E-DB8D-48D2-9E17-89D7025B4E3A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Hi Everyone
It has gone very quiet on here just a quick update on the Yorkswood site.Thanks maureen your friend has rang me and he is full of information and is helping a lot. Also several people have been in touch who were leaders there the first is Mr Chris Malcolm he was the deputy warden at yorkswood roundabout 66 if anyone wants to contact him let me know.I have got a load of photos from the county but i am going to hold on to them as if i put them on the site everyone sends them back to me as i am asking for photos.If any of you want a copy of the finished cd when it is done also let me know.Dont forget any info send it over.
I was a regular visitor to Yorks Wood Scout Camp from 1953 until 1963. As a member of the 110th Birmingham Scout Group we would pull a Trek Cart loaded with our equipment from Acocks Green all the way to the camp on a Friday night and back home on a Sunday afternoon. I was part of a team that manned the First aid post. I can well remember the Camp Fires / The Swimming Pool and the Tuck shop. I am still in touch with other members that enjoyed the experience's, although like me are in our late 70s early 80s.

I was a regular visitor to Yorks Wood Scout Camp from 1953 until 1963. As a member of the 110th Birmingham Scout Group we would pull a Trek Cart loaded with our equipment from Acocks Green all the way to the camp on a Friday night and back home on a Sunday afternoon. I was part of a team that manned the First aid post. I can well remember the Camp Fires / The Swimming Pool and the Tuck shop. I am still in touch with other members that enjoyed the experience's, although like me are in our late 70s early 80s.
Thank you Ken! I was a member of St Mary’s 120 th from 55 to 62 and while I remember the pool, camp fires but had forgotten about the Tuck shop!
Great memories!

Great memories of camping at Yorks Wood in the 1960s with 258th Birmingham Cubs and Scouts (St Mary's,Bearwood). Bob Baines our scoutmaster, his son Keith, his mate Mick (both sea scouts), Bill Toye group leader and Stan. We wore pale blue neckerchiefs and constructed a Monkey Bridge with a lethal Spanish Windlass to get the rope taut. Learned to use an axe and knife without doing any lasting damage. Lots of singing round the campfire. Phillip Williams from school in Bearwood took me and his younger brother Michael joined too. I lived with mom, so this was an introduction to male bonding. Robert Pratt became a butcher. Alan Critchley I spoke to on the phone last year. I introduced my own family to camping which we continued until a couple of years ago. Had many memorable camps with cub, Scouts and Ventures (Rovers discontinued by then). At Oban it rained continuously for 13 of the 14 days, undaunted we sailed to Mull in an open boat and had to sit in the bottom as the waves picked up. But at Yorks Wood it seemed always sunny!

Last edited:
Time for a campfire song:

The Woodpecker
I put my finger in the woodpecker’s hole
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, Take it out, take it out, remove it'
So I removed my finger from the woodpecker’s hole,
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, Put it back, put it back, replace it'
'I replaced my finger in the Woodpecker's hole
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, turn it round, turn it round, revolve it.'

Remove it etc should sound like a motor boat. Rrrrrrr-move it.'

I sang this camping with my wife and kids and was grateful for all the tips I picked up at Yorks Wood so long ago! Shorts and no socks!

Time for a campfire song:

The Woodpecker
I put my finger in the woodpecker’s hole
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, Take it out, take it out, remove it'
So I removed my finger from the woodpecker’s hole,
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, Put it back, put it back, replace it'
'I replaced my finger in the Woodpecker's hole
And the woodpecker said
'God bless my soul, turn it round, turn it round, revolve it.'

Remove it etc should sound like a motor boat. Rrrrrrr-move it.'

I sang this camping with my wife and kids and was grateful for all the tips I picked up at Yorks Wood so long ago! Shorts and no socks!
Oh, my goodness! Talk about the blast from the past! Thank you Derek..........

Oh, my goodness! Talk about the blast from the past! Thank you Derek..........
Digging about Richard I see that this song my have an Army origin and some vulgar versions. But a scout is clean in thought, word and deed! Many of the scout masters had been in the war and indeed some of the Rovers served in the Paras, Black Watch and Marines, camping with us on leave. But we were taught the clean versions. Derek

Digging about Richard I see that this song my have an Army origin and some vulgar versions. But a scout is clean in thought, word and deed! Many of the scout masters had been in the war and indeed some of the Rovers served in the Paras, Black Watch and Marines, camping with us on leave. But we were taught the clean versions. Derek
Yes, I only knew the clean version!

Back