• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

York Wade Geoffrey of Barnsley Rd

waderg

Brummie babby
This is my grandfather.
Geoffrey was born in 1902 while his family were living living at 253 Dudley Rd (I think!).
His parents were Alfred M (b1862 Newport; d1907) and Amy (b1868, nee Parkinson; remarried 1913 Tom Robinson; d1952).
He first married a Russian emigree, Lydia (or Leeda) Garkina (or Garkin), with whom he lived (with their sons Charlie b1928 and Victor b1939) on Sanderson Rd (Moseley) until Leeda died (of cancer, in 1949).
Geoffrey eventually went to live with his mother (Amy Robinson at 10 Barnsley Rd, a guesthouse since Amy died).
The year Amy died, 1952, Geoffrey married his neighbour at No. 12, Margaret Saull (she was much younger and a talented violinist) and moved in with her (her house is now student accommodation) & her mother; he lived there till his death in 1982; Margaret moved to Bromsgrove

He had an old fashioned tobacconist/ sweet-shop for a while (in Hockley; thanks Mike!)) earlier he had been a salesman (in which capacity he sailed to NY in 1926 and returned on the Titanic's sister ship the Olympic) and ran a music shop (in Henley, where he also lived?).
He was very fond of greyhound racing and was a heavy smoker and enjoyed a drop; he had been keen on motor-cars when they were still rather expensive.
He was fined £10 for shooting a rabbit from his car on the estate of Sir John Grey, of Enville Hall. Kinver. Staffs, in 1927 while he was a special constable... not sure why he would have volunteered for this.

Did anyone know Geoffrey?
Have posted separately to ask about his mother (Amy Parkinson/Wade/Robinson).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Geoffrey York Wade of Barnsley Rd

This is probably geoffrey's shop in the 1963 and 1964 Kellys:
Wade G. Y. tobconst. 397 Lodge rd 18
mike

Hi

Geoffrey York Wade aged 24 and a commercial traveller sailed on the Berengaria from Southampton on the 29th Dec 1926.
Next of Kin: Mother - Mrs Robinson, 3 Stanmore Road, Edgbaston.
Address of intended stay: 44 Whitehall Street, New York

He left New York and arrived in Southampton on the Olympic on 11th March 1927. Occupation traveller, aged 24, address in UK 3 Stanmore Road, Edgbaston.

Suzanne

hi waderg
just been reading your thread regardng your family
it may or not be of any intrest to you butafter reading mikes info; for you i myself personally think you may have another member of connections to this particular person
and that there was a very nice polite man l whom named was wade he to me at the time would have been of a mature age in life
and given the facts that this person was either running a bssines or even working and living local to the area that mentiond wich was dudley rd and the hockley area
ws a mr wade of german origin whom was employed a a sales man for a mr clews whom was down dudley rd at spring hill actualy monument rd
and the corner of king edwards rd for many years the shop being clews,s cycles and he had a petrol garage ajoining the shop
mr wade had to sons and he lived down a terrace across the road yards up from the shop from mr clews his two sons was named malcom wade and i think the
younger one w3as ronald ;wade there home adress would be listed under monument rd ladywood birmingham 18 during the fortys and most certain in the fifties
right up until 157 -8 9 as they w3as still living there so it may help to bear that in mind for any future cross ref; as they may have been relatyives to your man ;
best wishes astonian

Thanks for your post Astionian

Don't think the Wade of German origin would have been related, but I'll bear it in mind...life does have it's surprises!

Regards

good morning wadeg; ;
well thats what the locals always said about this guy whom worked for mr clews on monument rd ladywood as i was growing up ;
its a pity there ain,t no clews family members on this site whom would have been able to confirm this but i do know that he had two sons
the eldest one was name malcom and the younger one was victor ; malcom was the clever of the rwo and they liveddown on monument rd
up a terrace and as i seen your logo of being in edgbaston i just thought i wold mention to you and also mr clews had a couple of daughters
he had snowy hair and always wore a bobby hat and he lived in a big house on the corner of portland rd and city rd edgbaston
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Hello,

Geoffrey was also my grandfather.

I am second daughter to Geoffrey Victor Wade -( still with us).

Will post more details soon, - it is wonderful to have news of relatives.

Regards Lucie

Hi Lucy
I hope you are making progress with your research I do not want to throw a spanner into your. Research regarding your wade
If we can get some one to check an electro roll in Birmingham for wades at monument road in the year of 1954 up to 1957
For the wade family you may gets abit of info of whom was there father of the two lads I have Mentioned as there father was working for Mr clews
Across the road from there house he had worked for clews for donkey years
On the subject t of mr wade I cannot say 100 percent that he was German origin it was a rumour by one or two people
Whom said he was a German l sincerely hope you will keep every body informed of your progress
Best wishes for 2015. Astonian,,,,,,,

Well, made contact with several cousins (including Lucie!) and nothing I have seen leads me to think the "other Mr Wade" is related (German or not!)...I think all "my" Wades in Birmingham are accounted for (my grandfather's father was the only one of three brothers to move to Brum from Newport with his widowed mother, the other two remained childless & of my grandfather's three brothers, one died in childhood & the other two moved away (to Deal & Lancashire respectively). My father only returned to Brum after retiring from the army & none of his sons remained in the Midlands. Lucie's father moved to Lincoln & all his children are still there. Wade is not an uncommon surname & I know of other (unrelated) families who were in the Midlands before mine (who originated from up North).

Back