• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

York & Lancaster Regiment 1930s

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Would anyone know anything about the attached picture, who they are, where are/were they based. My uncle is in the third row,third from left. He was a Japanese P.O.W and he died in 1978.

Attachments

• HG 1.jpg
    HG 1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A question

thats a great pic you have there terry...hope someone can give you a bit more info on it

lyn

The men are in a tropical type of uniform in the Service Dress style and clearly are in the Far East.
(It's a shame we can't make out the "collar dogs").
There's hardly a medal ribbon in sight which leads me to think that the picture was taken in the 1930s.

I have just found another 2 that may help. My uncle was born in 1911.

Terry

Attachments

• HG2  (1).jpg
    HG2 (1).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 42
  • HG2  (2).jpg
    HG2 (2).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 42

This website strikes again, I tried to reply to Terry and was told that I wasn't logged in-of course I was. That's annoying

As db 84124 says, one picture is of a man in the York & Lancaster Regt.

The other pic shows a man in the Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment, who joined with the Middlesex Regiment in 1937.

In 1937 the Middlesex were in Hong Kong, which ties in with your uncle being a POW.

I think the newer photo may have been taken after the war, I 'm pretty sure that the collar was buttoned to the neck for the duration of the war.

Can I thank you all for your help, I also had the information from another member of this forum, again thank you all.
Terry

Back