• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Acme Whistles

The 'Whistle Museum' website appears to be quite authorative on the subject of Hudson's whistles. It warns that they didn't always stamp them with the correct address for the date and that the various features such as the loop and mouthpiece shape need to be considered too. Dating of Hudson's Whistles. Well worth a visit!

wow old brit...how wonderful to have those 2 old whistles....hudsons is still there in barr st and i believe they do tours of the factory or at least they did a couple of years back i think

lyn

I have two old whistles one marked The Metropolitan RCCA J (M)H?udson 131 Barr St Brum Tother ARP My Dad gave these to me many years ago Still work!!!View attachment 139964Same maker
The one on the left is a general service whistle, dating between 1885 and 1890. The change over to the next address took place around 1888, but they didn‘t move. The premises was re-numbered 11-13 Barr Street. It took a couple of years to start using the new stamp, I discovered.

i was reading the Police were reissuing them, I dont know if that's true. the coast guards and RNLI here have them. and so do I as part of my kit when I go way up in the mountains. after the goats and sheep. just in case the radio goes wonky:worried:

Attachments

• hudson.png
    hudson.png
    899.8 KB · Views: 4
i was reading the Police were reissuing them, I dont know if that's true. the coast guards and RNLI here have them. and so do I as part of my kit when I go way up in the mountains. after the goats and sheep. just in case the radio goes wonky:worried:
An RAF issue. For testing radio equipment. Official! 1971 issue.

A post by me, in this thread (Sept. 2014) mentioned the 'Acme Thunderer' whistles used in fire brigades. They are still used as a general evacuation signal for imminent dangers to firefighters inside buildings.

1579181095741.png They have no connection with this critter!

Back