• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acme Whistles

The arrow mark on the ring is a Army ordinance stamp, almost everything that belonged to the Army had this stamp on.

I have my Dad's whistle that he used as a fire watcher on top of Dunlop Base Stores.
It looks like a referees whistle, made of brass with chrome plate (Badly worn).
One side has AM with a crown and 23/230, the other side has 293/14/ & L1795
This is obviously an Air Ministry whistle, but Dad was a civvy, so why would he have it.?

I tried to post pictures but had a problem that.

Whilst decorating my dining room/office/radio room (the two latter descriptions are are a comment from 'er indoors from time to time) I came across two cylindrical whistles. They are quite similar and are stamped ARP (air raid precautions for those not old enough to remember WW2) with the address of the manufacturer - already mentioned in a previous post - J. Hudson & Co., Barr Street, Hockley, Birmingham.

I was not in the ARP (too young of course) but did get issued with these whistles when in the Fire Service. They still existed in the nineteen sixties, I guess, as we had not yet entered the throw away society. :disgust:

These whistles were replaced, in my Brigade in the nineteen seventies, by the 'Acme Thunderer' whistle which were louder in sound. The cylindrical whistle sound will be recognized by many former policemen and those who watch black and while films with police chases in them. The Acme one sounds like the whistles issued to railway guards.

After reading Florence Butlers thread with great interest I thought to myself I have a whistle very similar. Well Pete has had the dresser drawer out an low and behold there was my whistle. It is marked J.Hudson 40 Birmingham dated 1918. Pete was reading the other day that when the soldiers went to war they carried one of these whistles that would sound above the gunfire. Would anyone be able to help on this matter please?. I know John Houghton is paying a visit to the company in September so he may be interested. Jean.
Hi Jean

The blog that we recently posted at https://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/blog/ww1-and-the-whistle/ may be of interest to you and readers of this post.

ACME Whistles have a very rich heritage and history that dates back to our founder Joseph Hudson in 1870. To commemorate the centenary anniversary of the end of The Great War, we have recently posted a blog that we think would be of great interest to readers on this forum. It details an integral part of our history and the role that whistles and our company played assisting the British Military during World War 1. You can read the blog at https://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/blog/ww1-and-the-whistle/.

Hi Crinmeister
thats very good news. to hear they are still operationional i found one in a shop up at upton on seven
And it waas branded one of there she was asking price was 1oo pounds i spoke to her about how i knew the factory and living close to it but she was not going to lower the price

The 'Whistle Museum' website appears to be quite authorative on the subject of Hudson's whistles. It warns that they didn't always stamp them with the correct address for the date and that the various features such as the loop and mouthpiece shape need to be considered too. Dating of Hudson's Whistles. Well worth a visit!

wow old brit...how wonderful to have those 2 old whistles....hudsons is still there in barr st and i believe they do tours of the factory or at least they did a couple of years back i think

lyn

I have two old whistles one marked The Metropolitan RCCA J (M)H?udson 131 Barr St Brum Tother ARP My Dad gave these to me many years ago Still work!!!View attachment 139964Same maker
The one on the left is a general service whistle, dating between 1885 and 1890. The change over to the next address took place around 1888, but they didn‘t move. The premises was re-numbered 11-13 Barr Street. It took a couple of years to start using the new stamp, I discovered.

i was reading the Police were reissuing them, I dont know if that's true. the coast guards and RNLI here have them. and so do I as part of my kit when I go way up in the mountains. after the goats and sheep. just in case the radio goes wonky:worried:

Attachments

• hudson.png
    hudson.png
    899.8 KB · Views: 4
i was reading the Police were reissuing them, I dont know if that's true. the coast guards and RNLI here have them. and so do I as part of my kit when I go way up in the mountains. after the goats and sheep. just in case the radio goes wonky:worried:
An RAF issue. For testing radio equipment. Official! 1971 issue.

A post by me, in this thread (Sept. 2014) mentioned the 'Acme Thunderer' whistles used in fire brigades. They are still used as a general evacuation signal for imminent dangers to firefighters inside buildings.

1579181095741.png They have no connection with this critter!

Back