• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yet another whistle.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
After reading Florence Butlers thread with great interest I thought to myself I have a whistle very similar. Well Pete has had the dresser drawer out an low and behold there was my whistle. It is marked J.Hudson 40 Birmingham dated 1918. Pete was reading the other day that when the soldiers went to war they carried one of these whistles that would sound above the gunfire. Would anyone be able to help on this matter please?. I know John Houghton is paying a visit to the company in September so he may be interested. Jean.

W

Wendy

Jean I have sent the photo's of Florence's police whistle to the Police Museum. Dave who runs the museum has contacted Hudson's to see if they can give any further info. It would be lovely to find A.R. Thomas's family.
I think a visit to Hudsons would be nice, we will have to speak to Lyn nicely!

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Wendy I will take a photo of mine and put it on the thread. Pete is just putting everything else back in the drawer so must not disturb a man at work. Jean.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
This is the whistle but the camera didn't pick up on the engraving and am frightened to polish it as it is so old. Jean.

m.humphreys

master brummie
Try Solvol Autosol Jean its very good,much better and less messy than Brasso, available at Halfords I have sworn by it for 50 years!!!!

john knight

signman
Jean, you are showing the wrong side, no engraving on this side ,but I can just see the start of it at bottom right.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
John that is a mark on the whistle the engraving is further up. I will take another photo of it later. Sorry I am a drip. Jean.

chucka

Black Country Mon
The arrow mark on the ring is a Army ordinance stamp, almost everything that belonged to the Army had this stamp on.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Chucka thanks for that I hadn't noticed but have had a good look now. So what Pete said may be correct hence the Army connection. Jean.

gingerjon

master brummie
John,

Dave cross of the Police Museum has sent me a pic of this whistle---have you asked him about it. Whose is it out of interest ?Where does it come from.

I will investigate---it is not one of ours.

Yours

Simon

Just had this from Simon at Hudson's Whistles
John H

Last edited:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
John it is my whistle and John made it look much cleaner. As Chucka says it is an Army whistle as Pete thought. It was in my dads collection of bits and bobs when he died. I have two other things to start a thread on too. Jean.

florence butler

master brummie
Hello Jean....Interesting to see that you have a whistle too! Doesn't it make you wonder what the history of these things have been before they are put in a drawer and sometimes forgotten for years? I bet they would have a fascinating story to tell if they could talk!

Regards....Florence

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Hi Florence guess they would be called whistle blowers. Sorry for the pun. I used to think this may have been from my girl guide time but now since reading your find I had to sort this one out. Bye. Jean.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Alf I will sit down in a couple of hours and take a good look and am quite looking gorward to what you have found. Doing boooring jobs like peeling potato's and then ironing. Thanks of the link. Jean.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Have taken a quick look in and it looks very interesting. Am putting another two old things [not us] on later as they too are very interesting. Jean.

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Bet you write on the Forum in the 15 minutes you are peeling potatoes & more when you are ironing anyway Ironing is a nice job.
Women don't like it because it gets in the way of other things like chatting for women:)

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
You win Alf just put iron on then upstairs to do it. I have another whistle somewhere but not as old as this one. Jean.