• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yenton Junior School

A

anita troth

Does any one remember Yenton Junior School, Chester Road, Birmingham?
I was there in the 50's would love to hear any information regarding it and has any one got any photo's please. Thanks Anita.e

Edit. A description from British History Online :

YENTON COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Chester Road.(27) Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage Sch. opened 1868 in 3 classrooms in the orphanage (cf. pp. 49, 565). Religious teaching was unsectarian. Girls were taught domestic work in addition to ordinary elementary subjects. Enlarged, including new boys' schoolroom, 1874. Accom. then 350 B, G, I.(64) Became a P.E.S. 1922, accom. 320 M and I. I dept. closed as a P.E.S. 1925 on account of illness: the resident I continued to be taught as before. Reorganized 1947 for JI, including the resident I. Transferred to Birm. C.B.C. 1950 as Chester Rd. Cty. Primary Sch. Name changed 1952.(21) New JM block opened 1954; I dept. remained in old premises. Accom. 1961: 22 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yenton J and I school.

:) My younger cousins Jill and Anne Taplin attended that school. Do their names ring a bell. They went on to Perry Common. My Aunt Freda [Bridget] was a dinner lady for years. TTFN. Jean. They lived in Hervey Grove.:)

Funny isnt it how a book some nearly 60 years ago stilll stays in my mind.

It is, isn't it. My last teacher at Yenton Primary School, in about 1956 or 57, was a Mrs Bertinat, and i can remember that she read "Redcap Runs Away" to the class. She did "the voices" too - the first time I'd heard anyone do that apart from on the wireless.

I went to Yenton Junior from 1963 to 1967, they were my happiest school days. Final year in 4.1 with Mr Harbach.

Does any one remember Yenton Junior School, Chester Road, Birmingham?
I was there in the 50's would love to hear any information regarding it and has any one got any photo's please. Thanks Anita.e
I went to both the infant and junior sections, from '63 to '68. Remember the orphanage being knocked down - immediately behind the playground. There was a spooky house next door to the main entrance, we used to scare each other with stories of ghostly faces looking out of the window. Our much-beloved headmaster Mr Hawkins died during my time at the school - the first time anyone I knew had died. Anyone else in Miss Stanfield's class?
I recall some great school trips - to the Eisteddfod in north Wales, to Windsor Castle, a cruise to Norway on the SS Uganda with hundreds of other Birmingham children, and even a week in Paris.

I went to both the infant and junior sections, from '63 to '68. Remember the orphanage being knocked down - immediately behind the playground. There was a spooky house next door to the main entrance, we used to scare each other with stories of ghostly faces looking out of the window. Our much-beloved headmaster Mr Hawkins died during my time at the school - the first time anyone I knew had died. Anyone else in Miss Stanfield's class?
I recall some great school trips - to the Eisteddfod in north Wales, to Windsor Castle, a cruise to Norway on the SS Uganda with hundreds of other Birmingham children, and even a week in Paris.
Hi, I remember Mr Hawkins. I remember him saying to me that I need to work hard to get anywhere. Great guy.
And yes, I remember getting lost on the metro in Paris.
And... Being sea sick for a day or two on the SS Uganda.
Great days.

Some of the names I remember.

Hi, I remember Mr Hawkins. I remember him saying to me that I need to work hard to get anywhere. Great guy.
And yes, I remember getting lost on the metro in Paris.
And... Being sea sick for a day or two on the SS Uganda.
Great days.
Some of the names I remember.
Liz Rose, Lynn Roberts, Sandra Tannerdine, John Pickthorn, Neil Harding, keV Hall...

I went to Yenton Junior from 1963 to 1967, they were my happiest school days. Final year in 4.1 with Mr Harbach.
Hi, you may have been in the year above.
I was in the swimming team for the year above.
Names like Kev Hall, Neil Harding...
I am looking for some photos. Will post them when I find them.
Great days.

Hi, you may have been in the year above.
I was in the swimming team for the year above.
Names like Kev Hall, Neil Harding...
I am looking for some photos. Will post them when I find them.
Great days.
welcome to the forum patrick....any photos you have would be a welcome edition to this thread...thank you

lyn

School camp at Tal-y-bont, near Barmouth, 1966. An eleven year old weilding an axe - no health and safety worries then!
Image-1.jpgImage-2.jpg

The school camps were a great experience. In the 3rd year I climbed (walked up, in truth but climbed sounds better) Cader Idris and in the 4th year, Snowdon. During the descent from Snowdon, which involved scree skiing, Mr Stimpson (not a teacher, the husband of Mrs. Stimpson) fell and broke his arm.

Last edited:
what smashing photos...hope they bring back memories for pupils of this school

lyn

The embarrasing school photos that parents always keep:
Class 1 1963.jpgClass 2 1964.jpgClass 3 1965.jpgClass 4 1966.jpg
Class 1 teacher was Mrs Stimpson, Class 2 Mr. Pearce, Class 3 Mr Morgan but I can't remember Class 4.

Back