• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ye Old House at Home

cookie273uk

master brummie
Ye_Old_House_at_Home.JPG
My interpretation of how it would appear in Winter. Eric

Last edited:
That's a lovely representation of the original pub Eric. Is that on textured paper?

Aidan, it is on Arches 300lb (which is a heavyweight) watercolour paper, a French made paper but now British owned,it has always been a favourite paper of mine, and I've tried most of the paper mills. you can obtain it in 3 grades, (1) hot pressed (smooth) (2) Not pressed (medium textured) and (3) Rough, I prefer the Rough for the textures it will give me, unless I'm doing pen and wash then I use (2). Note: 300lb is the weight of a ream, a lot of painters use 140lb but it is inclined to cockle unless you pre stretch it but I cannot be bothered so I pay the extra for the heavier 300lb. Eric PS where is this Pub and does it still exiist ???

Last edited:
Hi Eric Thanks -it is Harborne - the name does exist in a new pub up the Road, but this original was replaced by housing

Eric I will send you some more through when I can find them. You never cease to amaze me at how many paintings you have done recently. I will give you a bell again tomorrow. Jean.

Jean, I don't know, I downloaded an old black and white pic somebody put on a thread because I thought it would make a nice winter painting - that why I asked where is it. Aidan says it WAS in Harbourne an area I'm not familiar with, if I could remember the title of the thread I would check Eric

Last edited:
Another smasher, Eric. I think this would make an excellent Christmas card. what talent!

Shortie

Eric, a lovely painting of The Old House at Home Public House. I understand at one time it was a farm and the present Old House at Home is further along Lordswood Road. I used to pass the Pub every day on my way to work. Anthea.

The Old house at home is now on the junction of Lordswood Road and Gilhurst Road. Not quite where it is shown on Google map

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...52.465913,-1.962272&spn=0.00383,0.011319&z=17

Looking at Godfrrey's 1901 map assuming that Gilhurst Lane is on the same alignment as the present Gilhurst Road then the previous pub would have been nearer the junction of Lordswood Road and Kelmscot Road

Sorry checking the link above has not quire worked out. You will need to move up and left to see where I mean

Last edited:
Aidan pic 1 in post 13 gives me the info I needed, Lordswood Rd c1900, thanks for help .
Shortie, thanks for kind comments, if you wish to use this painting, or any of my paintings for cards or any other purpose be my guest, I am not bothered about copyright, Eric

Back