• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yates Street

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I believe this street now ceases to exist and the only photograph I have found is labelled "Bad locality". That I can well believe. My relations, the SEDGWICKs, were self-employed curriers at number 5 and I remember Garibaldi SEDGWICK, ("Uncle Gal") telling me stories when I was a boy of how the stinking animal hides were brought in and dumped in barrels of water to soak for a period before the remains of any flesh could be scraped off. He said that in the winter the barrels would freeze over and he had to break the ice before the hides could be hauled out, cleaned, and processed. His brother was only 8 years old when he was doing this.

So can anyone, perhaps Mikejee?, tell me exactly where the street was located, and, of course, any other pictures would be very welcome indeed.

Maurice

Here you are Maurice

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing yates st.jpg
    map c 1950 showing yates st.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, Mike, that's very kind of you. Looking at the area today, it may have lots of new houses and grass, but it has totally lost its character.

Maurice

Back