• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yates family

thelids

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone

I have traced my Great Grandfather to a Charles Henry Yates born 1876 Harbourne. He married Emma Elizabeth Jones born 1878 on 23rd Oct 1898. According to the Family search site his father is listed as a George Robert Yates, but I can not find anything on him at all. I did find a Robert George Yates married to a Annie Morgan (morgan list as middle name, may not be surname), but not sure if this is a link.
Does anyone's family link with Charles Henry ( a railway carriage examiner)? or can anyone shed any further light on this subject.
Thanks

Not having the birth certificate and knowing how helpful people are on this site, I just thought I would ask the question. Sorry if this was wrong

Please don't misunderstand me, my question wasn't meant as a criticism, I'm sorry if it read that way.

Barrie

I have had a look at the census but there are a few possibities but not with exact criteria.
Perhaps your best course of action would be to get the marriage certificate which will have fathers name and occupation and
give you ( and the members) a bit more info to work with.

Some of the entries to Familysearch are submitted by people who are not always sure of the facts.

George Robert Yates to Annie Morgan Workman Mar qtr 1876 Birmingham ref. 6d 239
there is a birth of a George Robert Yates in bromsgrove 1850.

Last edited:
Hi

Dear Barrie - I'm glad you didn't mean any criticism, it was me being over sensitive - I just hated the thought that I might have offended someone. Glad its sorted and thank you for at least replying to my post.

Alberta - Thanks for the info- I will look into the two leads you have given me.

As money is tight (as with everyone) I was just trying to see what help I could get before ordering the birth/marriage certificates - hence the orginal query, so any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you both once again

The problem is Yates is a comon name especially in Birmingham. I have a massive Yates tree from Birmingham my granny was a Birmingham Yates. I have checked but sadly as yet not found a connection to your relatives. You are right about copy certificates they are in my opinion very expensive and stop a lot of people going further with their research. If you need any further help please ask.

I have tried to find Annie Morgan Workman but no luck so far.
There is a Harry Morgan Workman born Bromsgrove to a George Workman but I cannot find the connection between George and Annie.

Hi Alberta and Wendy

I have been researching this all morning and using the links Alberta gave me, I have managed to trace a connection using other peoples family trees - I still need to check some facts but it looks promising and their trees go back to the 1400's!!!! although not on the Yates side.
Annie Morgan Workman was born 18th Dec 1856 in Pershore, Worcestershire. Her father was Charles Workman and her mother Martha Morgan
According to 1901 census Annie's sister Kate also married a Yates?? A George Frederick Yates - I'm now on the track of this George (i.e George Frederick) to see if he links to my George Robert
Thanks again Ladies for your continued help

hi thelids
i do not know whether or not this may be of any use but there is a big family of yates living on coventry rd next to beddows the chippie
they have been there for many a years the sons have all got married and spread all over the place my daughter whom courted one of the yates
whom she sees from time to timehe now lives outside brum but i ill be meetingup with my daughter tonight
and i will asked her for his parents christian names and may be that may or not may shedd light onto your family connections
i beleive they have family relatives ; being the mother or the fathers of one of these senior yates
i think my daughter told me years ago they lived in and around hopwood area that being one of there parents
so it may be or not a link to your tracing of these people
i will come back tommorrow if i get any feed back from my daughter as i said she knew a fair bit about this family at the time
they did live about four or five doors from us on coventry rd haymills many years ago i have reason to beleive these two seniors still live in this house on cov;
best of luck astonian

Hi Astonian

My Grandmother was Gladys Maud Yates Born: 1902 - 1975. Her father was Charles Henry Yates the person in my original query. Mother: Emma Elizabeth Jones Her siblings were as follows:-
Charles Albert Yates 1899 - 10/3/1963
Frederick Ernest Yates 1901 - 2/2/1959
Lilian May Yates 15/2/1905 - 2/5/1997
Ivy Violet Yates 11/2/1907 - 7/2/1966
Rose Elizabeth Yates 14/2/1909 - 30/3/1983
Dorothy Annette Yates 29/4/1912 - 24/9/1973
Cyril Norman Yates 1921
all born in Birmingham
hope this info helps find a link - and thank you for your kindness

right thank you
i have taken details and will take them with me this evening to my daughter whom lives along the coventry rd further up from them
i beleive she still as one of the guys number and she pases there house as well
as she lives up by the swan but anyway i will take them with me ; i have to travel to kings rd kingstanding this evening and i will call in on her anyway
she knows i am coming because i made arrangements with her at our funneeral yesterday at corpus christie church
so i hope to have some kind of info;for you either way so fingers crossed have a nice day astonian

GOOD MORNING EYELIDS
I am sorry to say that this yates is not connected emedately the yates of the coventry rd are a christopher ; and denise yates
and there sibbling have no simalar names that ring any bells apparently its an aunt whom lives in hopwood worcestershire
but she does not know her name there ;and my daughter as informed me this yates family orinated in gloucestershire and thats
where they came from on the subject of workman ; i beleive there was a workman living in and around ladywood many years ago ;
it could have been barker street anditon street - st marks street ladywood and the kids went to steward street school
so if i have dashed your hopes best wishes astonian

Good morning to you too
Thanks for trying anyway, I really appreciate the effort you went to - you are a star :unconscious:

my sister married a stanley william yates he was a bus driver at coventy road garage he dad 2 sisters ethel & i can't think or the other 1 look on genes reunited at a tree for yates it may help

I used to look after a minnie yates at a care home in erdington, minnie had a son called terry, i think minnie was in her 90s when she passed away a lovely lady,

Hi everyone
Can't find a Stanley or a Minnie Yates in my family tree (as yet) Wendy was right there are a lot of Yates ! and I dont mean the pub - haha! My latest discovery is that George Frederick Yates who married Kate Workman was the son (from 1st marriage) of George Robert Yates who married Kates elder sister Annie Morgan Workman! Talk about complicated! I still have to check out some facts about this as this info has been pieced together from different peoples family trees. So if there is anyone else out there researching YATES or WORKMAN family, please let me know.
Thanks again everyone for your continued help.

Think I've untangled the George's now. There (ofcourse) are two George Robert Yates both born in Worcestershire.
George Robert Yates B 1850 in Dodford, Worcester is the one married to Annie Morgan Workman --Father/Mother of Charles Henry Yates born 1876 Harborne, Staffordshire (my Great Gandfather)
George Robert Yates B 1842 in Bromsgrove Worcester is the one married to Mary Ellen Westwood - Father of George Frederick Yates born 1872 in Bromsgrove who married Kate Workman
See what happens when you just can't sleep and get up in the middle of the night:unconscious:
Hope this info helps aomeone else out, perhaps I can sleep now before my next adventure......finding out who George Robert Yates(1850) father is???????

I hadn't worked it out like that because on the 1871 census the George married to Mary Ellen is indexed as being 30 but if you view the original he is 20 and I also couldn't find one born Dodford in 1841/42.
Sorry but i feel you are mistaken because on the 1851 census George is indexed as 30 but the original shows him as 20 born 1850.
In 1871 He is a Gardener born Bromsgrove and he and Mary Ellen have a lodger named Liddell and in 1851 at 11 months old George and the rest of his family (minus father ) are lodgers with a Liddell family.
In 1901 George born 1850 in Dodford, a gardener is married to Annie and living in Brewood.
The 1881 census is proving difficult it could hold the info you require about the children.
George and Mary Ellen who married in 1868 had Annie in 1869 Bromsgrove and George Frederick in 1872.

Mary Ellen died in 1872 age 22 and then in 1874 George Married Annie Workman.

Last edited:
oh no - I thought it was too good to be true.
I've revisited the records I have found and suddenly realised that George Robert born about 1842 is only ever referred to as George - the only reference to George Robert is the marriage to Mary Ellen - so it looks like someone may have attached the wrong records to this one - which is what has thrown me off
Anyway here goes
George Yates born about 1842:
1851 Census: Born in Ombersley Worcestershire. George is aged 9 living with father: Richard Yates aged 35 (Ag Lab) Mother Jane aged 30 and siblings Thomas 7. Ann 5, Eliza 3. Catherine 1
1861 Census: Listed as born in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. (Name is miswritten as Tater). George is 19 (can't read his occupation looks like 'something' needle worker) living with Mother Jane aged 45 (No father listed- so assume Richard had died by 1861) Siblings: Thomas 17, Catherine 11, Susan 8, Josiah 6 and Mary A 3.
I do have the 1871 attached but as you said when you look at the original text it does state George as being 20 not 30 (this again led to the confusion)and ofcourse the link is with the name of the border Liddle!! so this really does look like it is attached to my George Robert Yates instead.
So now we are back to the original theory that George Robert Yates's son from his first marriage married the sister of his second wife.
Thank Alberta for pointing this out and helping me get back on track.
From the 1851 census; George born about 1850 is living with his Mother Ann and siblings Elizabeth 12 and Eliza 5 all bording with the liddle family - So can't find his father.
Going to spend sometime this morning now rechecking the records I have more carefully.
Thanks again Alberta for putting me back on track.

Back