• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

YardleyCemetery

FOXY

master brummie
I have just got back from visiting Yardley Cemetery,and can't believe how messy people can be,I can understand someone takeing a container for water when they take flowers but why do they just discard the containers on to others graves,I took three milk containers to the bin that had been left near the grave I was visiting,what is hard about throwing rubbish into bins the provide.Flowers look really nice,but why bother if the rubbish is left.

Very well said Foxy I wish more visitors to graves were like you!

I have deeds to a family grave at Yardley (my late Wife's Grandparents) and have often wondered about visiting but was put off by tales in the press. Should I put those to one side and just go and look?

Most certainly Bernard. Cemeteries and graveyards are a wonderful source of history. If just a few of us visit and, tidy a grave, pick up rubish they will start to look better. The staff at Yardley are very helpful.

Wendy I just hate mess no exuse for it.
Bernard I agree with Wendy,of course you should visit the staff are very good.

We found a grave in St Phillip's that my mother had told me about but never found. The when walking through St Paul's churchyard on our way back from the Jewellery Quarter we spotted a tombstone of someone who may well have been an ancestor of mine who fell from scaffolding and died. I will post a picture when I find it.

Its so sad to read about this sort of mess in graveyards etc isn't it. I went thru to Yardley last year when we were down in Brum for a few days & my first impression (after not being for quite some time) was how clean it was looking!! All the gardens were looking well kept & the place looked generally very tidy. Hope its not taken a turn for the worse The staff are always really helpful there aren't they? :)

It's the usual thing no money for cemeteries, but then I have to say who is interested!:( The staff work hard but it's a difficult task. They need support not condemnation.:(

The post is spam if you see one of these click on the report post and send it as spam.........I have done so with this one.

I was at Yardley cemetery on tuesday this week and noticed that they are repairing broken headstones etc.There are notices around stating that the work is going on ,many old fallen headstones being propped up with wooden posts etc.Should improve things there.

I drive past Yardley Cemetery every day. I had noticed alot of headstones being "staked up" I thought it was do do with some sort of health and safety issue, didn't someone somewhere get hit by a falling headstone or something? On the issue of milk containers etc some are left with best of intentions, to use to fill up flower bowls etc. usually left behind the headstone of a loved one, unfortunately these do get blown around and yes do look a mess

This subject has been covered before but yes it's a health and safety ongoing project which will effect every cemetery in the country. If the headstone does not stand up to the "topple test" it is banded and the owners are asked to repair them. If the owners are not found then the headstones are laid flat. This was because a child was killed in about 2003 so all cemeteries have to be checked. It can be quite upsetting as some gravestones that are quite new have been banded.

I have had the upmost help from a Mrs Garghan at Yardley Cemetary.

I now have the info needed to visit the final resting places of my grandparents & gtgrandmother...

Regards,
Margaret.

Ward ancestors can you give us any dates as Ward is quite a common name.

I agree I have found family graves over the last few months, lodge hill cemetery is run down some graves have been left in ruins, where quinton cemetery is top class all very neat and tidy, I found my grandmothers grave there and the staff were a credit, they helped me so much.
Andy

Back