• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Wood

I liked the Trittiford area pics, but after 65 years ago the memory, except the lock cottage at Warstock, is just vague.

I went to Highters Heath school, Infants and Juniors, (before going to Wheelers Lane). Memories of Flints etc.

I must warn you though, it was a LOOOONG time ago !
Oh I have such a lovely memory coming back as I see the name 'Flints' in front of me - isnt memory amazing....? anyway Flints had everything, ha yes always open too. I seem to remember the excitement of going there with parents because they had a 'magic or jokes section' so I would occasionally get a magic or funny gift to play with....I think!

Oh I have such a lovely memory coming back as I see the name 'Flints' in front of me - isnt memory amazing....? anyway Flints had everything, ha yes always open too. I seem to remember the excitement of going there with parents because they had a 'magic or jokes section' so I would occasionally get a magic or funny gift to play with....I think!
Yes I too remember Flints. I went to Yardley Wood Junior school and I would sometimes go down Highters Heath Lane and then along the Yardley Wood rd calling at Flints on the way. It was an Aladdins cave to a small boy. For me too it was a long long time ago.

If you mean that group of houses that lay further back, Jennie, opposite Gorleston, then I remember a kid called Tyler lived there.(I used to get sent to that outdoor regularly to get ten Churchmans for Our Mom !).
Yes the Tylers lived on Highters Heath Lane, Steve died about 5 years ago very sad, does anyone remember the Reilly family from Aldbury Road.

I can't remember the first name of the Tyler kid that I knew but it could've been Robert.
Funnily enough I could look straight up Aldbury Rd from my bedroom but the only person I knew, that lived there, was a girl called Maureen Jennings.

I was one of several evacuees to Billesley July 1944 and remember the cinema at or on Billesley Common. Not sure of its name but could be The Tudor. Detached from other buildings and at the far end towards the canal. We sometimes saw German or Italian POWs working on the common.

If youclick on this link you will find a number of "memories" of the Tudor Cinema

when i lived at 70 Pendeen road we Knew the shop as Blacks.I was sent up by my mother to get ham on the bone Tub butter and crusty cobs for a Saturday treat Around 1956 i would have been 7 years old.
Hi Johnny, your name rings a bell with me. I think I am the same age as you (born in 1949) and we may have been friends as children. Do you remember Ivor Parkin from number 34. I also have memories of Blacks, especially the smells of cheese, ham and vinegar and, of course, the fly papers covered in flies hanging over the counter.

I find it hard to get dewey-eyed about Mrs Flint!

I remember the shop used to be stacked with stuff from floor to ceiling and when you went in she'd bark "whadda you want ?"

Most of the kids were too frightened to go in the place. The "Bottom Flints" was more child-friendly I recall.
My mother-in-law used to call them "Skinflints".

Hi IvorP .... my mother-in-law (nee Shufflebottom) lived at 36 Pendeen, but moved out in 1949 to Prince of Wales Lane. She remembers your mother Hilda, brother Ronnie and sister Rita. She remembers your dad at the VE (or VJ) Day celebrations dressed as an Arab!

Hi IvorP .... my mother-in-law (nee Shufflebottom) lived at 36 Pendeen, but moved out in 1949 to Prince of Wales Lane. She remembers your mother Hilda, brother Ronnie and sister Rita. She remembers your dad at the VE (or VJ) Day celebrations dressed as an Arab!
Not knowing how old your Mother- in Law is does she remember the Breakwells at number 18 Denis, Gladys and there children Betty, June and David my mom Betty would of been 23 in 1949

Hello, a cousin of mine who lived on Yardley Wood Road, was married to a Harry Shufflebottom in the late 60s. I wonder if he was related to to your Mother in Law's family.

jmadone : That sounds like my wife's Uncle Harry .... is your cousin's name Margaret ? If so, we know her well, and we'll be seeing her on Saturday.

Back