• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Wood

I remember buying those wellies - they were brown and I think they came with a gun - strange for a girl to want those, but I also wanted a blow-lamp at the age of two.

One of the Christmas Party 1953. me in a blue velvet frock and long beige socks - my mother would not, for some reason, allow me to have white socks, so I got constantly teased about wearing 'boys' socks'. My mother has a lot to answer for!

My mum is at the back of the photo with my little sister in her arms. I presume she was singing.

Another of the Christmas Party 1953 held at Highter's Heath School. JohnT and Baz - I hope there is someone amongst this that you both recognise. I don't have any more of the period, we were living with my grandparents at the time and moved in January 1954.

It has taken a long time for this Yardley Wood site to come to life ! I lived at 67 Cleeve Road, opp; Pendeen Road from 1932 til I joined the army in '48, then again til 1957 when we moved out under the Overspill scheme.I have an Electoral Roll somewhere.I left YW Senior Boys in 1944 and was directed to work at the Rover, used go by train to Kings Road.My sister in law lived at 67 until she died a couple of years ago !

My mother and her brother and sister lived at 18 Pendeen Road Breakwells she was born in 1926 don´t know when my Grandparents moved there, they origanated from Kings Heath when were the houses built in Pendeen Road.
I was told my grandfather Denis W Breakwell was one of the founder members of British Legion.

L-R Breakwells Granparents Me with Granparents, Me and my Uncle David Breakwell.
Bottom
L-R Mom on Right her sister on left Gladys Breakwell (grandparent) holding me me and uncle David

breakwell 2.jpg

Another of the Christmas Party 1953 held at Highter's Heath School. JohnT and Baz - I hope there is someone amongst this that you both recognise. I don't have any more of the period, we were living with my grandparents at the time and moved in January 1954.
Thanks for the pictures Shortie !
In the last picture, the kid who has his face in front of Santa looks familiar.
I feel I would know the one who's managed to get a "V" sign through the crush too !
Seriously though, I had a bit of a pang looking at those three kids in the dark jumpers, the one on the left looks like my, late, kid brother.
It's nice to be reminded of (sometimes) happier times.

Great photos I lived in Highters Road during the war and went to Grendon Road school, then Yardley Wood for 2 years and moved to Wheelers Lane school then.

Looks like a woman holding a baby; think she trying to encourage the baby to look at the camera

Hi Jennie - post away as photographs always spark off comments and memories.

You are right - that's my mother's hand I recognise the watch. The baby is my little sister and I suspect mum was trying to get her to look at the camera. I can sort of remember this, but not as well as I remember the Coronation. That's me in the front showing my knickers (I promise you I don't do that these days!).

My auntie lives in Cleeve Road, they moved in there after the war and she still lives there now at the grand age of 90.
Sue

Hi John,
I dont suppose you have anymore photos do you? This shop was owned by my husbands grandfather who sold it to hayes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Happy Valley' I remember going there on our bikes, an having a trip in a canoe on the canal.

Nick

Nick if you search for Happy Valley you should find a number of posts about it. Here is the thread for "Happy Valley Pleasure Grounds".

I believe it was in Warstock not Yardley Wood though - I notice one site I found [that has photos of it] places the location incorrectly as where the Bus depot stands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Back