• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Wood

There appears to a few "Yardleywoodites" on the site at this time. I too lived in Cleeve Road from my birth to when I did my National Service in 1956. Although my parents continued to live there until the death of my father and subsequently when my late mother went into a care home in 1992.

Attended both junior and senior parts of Yardley Wood school and have fond memories of the head of the latter. Mr Spicknell and of a Mr Smith who was one of my teachers. Happy memories of the Dingles and Trittiford Park expeditions. Good days.

That brings back memories of my first house at Maypole.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

It was 54 Stotfold Rd Baz.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Ah yes, there was a wonderful cake shop on the corner of Stot Fold, (Wimbush's ?). A little further round was a shoe repairers, and across the road was the Maypole cinema.

Hello All,
I don't know how you can remember all these details of long ago??
I used to live on Yardley Wood Rd., It was the first block with a Solihull post mark.
Yes I do remember going to the social club. Dancing of course. I also remember a very nice young man - who shall be nameless.
There was a public house which I think was called the Prince of Wales, and the bus depot further down Y.W.R.
If I keep following the thread maybe I will remember other things? I worked at Monyhull Hospital at the time and I think it was in The 80s.
Betty.

Goodness, I remember that shop - it was near the bus garage if I remember rightly? I lived in Arlington Road from 1947 until 1954. The nursery I attended was behind the YMCA. I remember the peg I used to hang my coat, and my blanket for my afternoon nap, had a purple plum on it (because at four I could not read). Not been there since, but have looked on street view and it still is very recognisable.

I'd forgotten that nursery Shortie, I used to have to pick up my kid brother from there. I used to go to the YMCA too. One of my mates turned up there one night full of excitement because he'd got the record by that new singer, (Elvis something ?), called Heartbreak Hotel. He was mortified when we all laughed at it !

I didnot go there for long, Baz - at the age of four I would not eat beetroot or tomato, so I was sat on a chair in a corner, face to the wall because of that. I can still not stand even the smell of beetroot, but can just about manage tomatoes if they are very thinly sliced. Perhaps it was the nursery's fault?

I'm trying to place this shop. Was it on the bend, after the canal bridge, just down from Yardley Wood depot ?
It is/was on the corner of Yardley Wood Road and Pendeen Baz.

Photo from Google Live

Hayes.jpg

Shortie, if you lived on Arlington Road until 1954 you might remember being at its Coronation street party in 1953, as I was. I was born in the upstairs front bedroom of 84 Arlington Road on February 18th 1947. This was a famously heavy winter and there were three-foot long icicles hanging in front of the window. Here's a couple of photos. On the group one I am the little boy in a white shirt squatting front row, left. On the other photo I am standing in front of number 84 with my cousin Sandra (who sadly passed away only last week - 9th Oct 2013). CoronationArlingtonRd1.jpgCoronationSandra&John2.jpg

Yes John, I was at the Coronation Party - I was dressed as Bo Peep with a dress over a copper wire frame, made of red, white and blue crepe paper. To get me into the school as it was rather wet, I was lifted under my arms by both my mum and my dad! I do have a couple of photos somewhere, I shall see if I can find them. I don't see anyone I know in the photo above, but it was a little further up the road than where I lived. I do remember a couple of names - Ann Parkes who lived nearer the school entrance, Mr & Mrs Blackwell and their son Ronnie who lived next door to us, and I remember the faces of a couple of girls but the names escape me. I will endeavour to find the photo tomorrow. I also have one of me outside our house with the photographer's Alsation dog. These photos bring back memories for me John, thank you for posting them. Sorry about your cousin, she can't have been very old.

I was twelve when the coronation was on.
Having been to Highters Heath school, I eagerly looked for a familiar face in the photo but there doesn't seem to be many of my age there.
It's nice to read familiar street names on here all the same.

JohnT - I thought I had photos of the Coronation, but sadly I don't. What I do have, however, are photos of the Christmas Party in 1953 held at the school.
Baz - there are many people on these photos over the age of 12, so you might be able to recognise a face or two, you might even be on there! I will post them later, busy at present.

Shortie

I now find the above comment is not strictly true, as I do have one photo of the Coronation Party. I have two of the Christmas Party of the same year, so I will post those also as you both may be able to recognise someone. I am second from the right, next to the girl in the gingham dress.

This is me with the photographer's dog. You won't find me doing that nowadayswith any dog larger than a Jack Russell!

I remember buying those wellies - they were brown and I think they came with a gun - strange for a girl to want those, but I also wanted a blow-lamp at the age of two.

One of the Christmas Party 1953. me in a blue velvet frock and long beige socks - my mother would not, for some reason, allow me to have white socks, so I got constantly teased about wearing 'boys' socks'. My mother has a lot to answer for!

My mum is at the back of the photo with my little sister in her arms. I presume she was singing.

Another of the Christmas Party 1953 held at Highter's Heath School. JohnT and Baz - I hope there is someone amongst this that you both recognise. I don't have any more of the period, we were living with my grandparents at the time and moved in January 1954.

It has taken a long time for this Yardley Wood site to come to life ! I lived at 67 Cleeve Road, opp; Pendeen Road from 1932 til I joined the army in '48, then again til 1957 when we moved out under the Overspill scheme.I have an Electoral Roll somewhere.I left YW Senior Boys in 1944 and was directed to work at the Rover, used go by train to Kings Road.My sister in law lived at 67 until she died a couple of years ago !

My mother and her brother and sister lived at 18 Pendeen Road Breakwells she was born in 1926 don´t know when my Grandparents moved there, they origanated from Kings Heath when were the houses built in Pendeen Road.
I was told my grandfather Denis W Breakwell was one of the founder members of British Legion.

L-R Breakwells Granparents Me with Granparents, Me and my Uncle David Breakwell.
Bottom
L-R Mom on Right her sister on left Gladys Breakwell (grandparent) holding me me and uncle David

breakwell 2.jpg

Another of the Christmas Party 1953 held at Highter's Heath School. JohnT and Baz - I hope there is someone amongst this that you both recognise. I don't have any more of the period, we were living with my grandparents at the time and moved in January 1954.
Thanks for the pictures Shortie !
In the last picture, the kid who has his face in front of Santa looks familiar.
I feel I would know the one who's managed to get a "V" sign through the crush too !
Seriously though, I had a bit of a pang looking at those three kids in the dark jumpers, the one on the left looks like my, late, kid brother.
It's nice to be reminded of (sometimes) happier times.

Great photos I lived in Highters Road during the war and went to Grendon Road school, then Yardley Wood for 2 years and moved to Wheelers Lane school then.

Looks like a woman holding a baby; think she trying to encourage the baby to look at the camera

Back