• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Wood

Hi enclosed, welcome to the forum! If you type Yardley Wood into the search box just under the title banner, you will get lots of threads which feature/mention Yardley Wood or if you have specific road/street pics, type that in to add to items already on the site.
I would love to see pics, my aunty lives in Cleeve Road and I did my District Nuring placement there in the 80s
Sue

Thank you kindly Sue.
I id try to find other entries as you suggested, but I could not.
I live about 5 minutes walk from Cleeve Road. been here 24 years. trying to find other people here from Yardley Wood
Indy

Hi There.
I am writing a book on Billesley and go up to the river Chinn crossing the yardley Wood Rd.
Barry Geens has done two books "Kings Heath to the Country" and that cover's some of the area.
If you have any pics from Billesley I would like to see them if possible........Pete
Pete
Has anyone searched into the history of Yardley Wood. I am interested. have many pictures to share:)

Hello Indy, welcome to the site, could I suggest that you start a new thread about Yardley Wood and you can put all your pictures and articles on it. You will soon see other members joining in, if you require any help, please contact myself or any of the moderators.
Jim

Hello Indy, welcome to the site, could I suggest that you start a new thread about Yardley Wood and you can put all your pictures and articles on it. You will soon see other members joining in, if you require any help, please contact myself or any of the moderators.
Jim

Hi there, we moved from Balsall Heath to 67 Cleeve Road in 1932, and apart
from army service lived there 1957, when we got a house at Burton under the
Overspill Scheme. I have an electoral roll of the road. I was there last year for
my sister in laws funeral, most of the houses were covered with scaffolding and
looked a right mess. Bernard

Bernard, the houses were all having new windows fitted - well the council ones anyway - they all had central heating put in a couple of years ago too. My Aunty has lived there for many years now, not sure exactly when she moved in, will check with mom - her name is Ivy Ainge, hubby was George and she had Peter and Judy, both in their 60's now.
Sue

Bernard, the houses were all having new windows fitted - well the council ones anyway - they all had central heating put in a couple of years ago too. My Aunty has lived there for many years now, not sure exactly when she moved in, will check with mom - her name is Ivy Ainge, hubby was George and she had Peter and Judy, both in their 60's now.
Sue
Hi Sue, nice to talk you again, my parents both died while I was in the army, my
brother Ray lived in the house, when i came out I went back there in 1953.
Think my roll is 1950, not sure, bye for now, Bernard.

Hi Sue, nice to talk you again, my parents both died while I was in the army, my
brother Ray lived in the house, when i came out I went back there in 1953.
Think my roll is 1950, not sure, bye for now, Bernard.

Hi Bernard - you wouldn't have the entry for Warstock Road, by any chance?

Cheers

Hi Bernard - you wouldn't have the entry for Warstock Road, by any chance?

Cheers

No sorry!, I have a nephew Nick who goes into family history in a big way and he sent me the Cleeve Road roll and also the Hick Street one, where we moved from.
Not sure how you get them, someone will know! cheers Bernard

Have a look at some good local photos of the Stratford on Avon Canal through YW & Warstock here:

Also some good YW info here:

and finally, Warstock info here.

That should keep you going for a bit.

When we lived there the buses were run by BCT, and a very good service it was too, we could get the 24 Warstock
or the 13A, this was of course long before we all became car owners, Bernard

Hi all
talking of yardley wood,my gran lived at 156 glastonberry rd during the 40s and early 50s.can any one remember
the local marching band.the billsley arcadians they were called.what happened to them??? Any ideas

Hi all
talking of yardley wood,my gran lived at 156 glastonberry rd during the 40s and early 50s.can any one remember
the local marching band.the billsley arcadians they were called.what happened to them??? Any ideas
Wish I had a pound for everytime I walked down Glastonberry Road, I would be
a rich man. We lived at 67 Cleeve Road from 1932 until last year when my sister
in law Barbara died.Dont think I could live in Brum again, although Yardley Wood
was a big improvement on Hick Street Balsall Heath, take care now Bernard

I was in the Social Club once but for the life of me I cannot recall why as my Dad was never a member but maybe one of his brothers were?

Here is a photo of shops in yardley wood Rd.
Notice the George Masons bike with the basket on the front. for home delivery no doubt

Image3_Yardley_Wood_Rd__60s.jpg

Stars

Stars

Can I just point out that the one photo is of Stockfield Rd Yardley not Stockland Rd and the other photo is Yardley Wood two separate districts miles apart.

Phil

Back