• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Village

Went to Sunday school at the church hall next to the church, Drank at the Ring a Bells on Church rd, John Crump

Saw on Google that the Ring O'Bells was trashed, wish I had a bob for every pint I drank there in the late40s realy 50s, Lived down on Moat lane. John Crump Parker, Co USA

John Crump...you must be from the same roots as my Gt gt Granny Fanny Crump - Nailers of Bromsgrove region - come into Brum at the beginning of twentieth century?!

Are there any former players of the forerunner of the Yardley and District RFC, i.e., Yardley Old Church RFC, among our members? I'd love to hear from - or receive news about - Pete Skipp, John Smart, Rodney Dawson, Frank Stevens, Dennis Piercy, "Taff", Dennis Price, Nigel et al. I made a similar request eighteen months ago so I hope that our longstanding members will bear with me ....... among the more recent newcomers, can anyone help? David

If this is the John Smart you mean David, then he's my cuz and he lives in France now. His son and he were very involved with local rugby sides (and Moseley RFC), and he lived in BGE, just before the Hospital when he was a lad. We are in close touch if it is the same one I can put you in touch easily.

.... I think we're on a winner, Dennis!
Here's John on a Yardley Church RFC photo taken at the Oaklands in 1967 ....

View attachment 64144
John_Smart_1967-68.JPG

...... in the 60s, did your cousin have a window-cleaning business in the Bordesley Green/ Little Bromwich area? My John had fine straight hair and lived on Bordesley Green East too!

Last edited:
Yep, that's the little blighter. Window Cleaner. I'll send you a message with his email address, he'd be delighted to catch up with you I'm sure. Small world isn't it? He and I were good pals till he disappeared into the ether to la Belle France...doing well in retirement I gather.

G'day to you Dennis,

That would be great if that's possible. Last year I was in Church Road but at that time I didn't know of the 'connection' to Church Terrace. I was looking at my Grandfathers shop (bicycle) and a house he lived in at 218 Church Road. His wife lived at 2 Chuch Terrace when she was young. She was originally from Ratley - beautiful village which we visited. Thanks Dennis, Kat
Hi Kat, Your G/Father must have been Mr. Linforth whose shop was full of bicycles & parts of bikes all us kids would take our buckled wheels and he would straiten them by adjusting the spokes he charged us a few old pennys this was pre-WW2, i remember he smoked cigarette after cigarette, he was a very good man. Len.

My Grandad Will. lived in Smethwick, on Cheshire Rd, He and his 3 brothers all worked at the Carraige works. His three bros, went to the USA, Grandad went over but didnt like it so came back to Brum. I stayed with the three bros in Connecticut USA when I went over in 1957. Not sure we had any relative with the name Fanny. John Crump

What happened to Harveys Bakery,Hot warm bread Yummy! Use to get my hair cut at Bill Haydens shop and newspapers next door, See that is all gone now. John Crump 77yrs old living in Parker Co USA its 20below F to day

Past the old pub, now a private res, before the church is a building pretty old I guess that I went to youth meetings and chuch school in, Is that still there? Loved to walk through the park, lovely flower beds etc, I think this part of Yardley is a true glint of how life was. Should be fenced off and preserved for all to enjoy. John Crump, Parker,Co. USA

...doing well in retirement I gather.

Very pleased to hear that, Dennis. We were good mates too .... I even helped John out on a couple of occasions when he was hard pushed to complete his "round" ...... and many a brown n' mild we enjoyed in the pub just up the road from you in the late '60s/early '70s ...... Thursday night was Club night at the Bells ....... never spoke about tactics or team selection, just reminded the captain of friends' of friends phone numbers to make up numbers for the following match. That was when sport was pure, undiluted enjoyment !!! David

Past the old pub, now a private res, before the church is a building pretty old I guess that I went to youth meetings and chuch school in, Is that still there? Loved to walk through the park, lovely flower beds etc, I think this part of Yardley is a true glint of how life was. Should be fenced off and preserved for all to enjoy. John Crump, Parker,Co. USA

Depends which way you approach the Church John. Two 'School' contenders for your post...

The first one Dennis,We had classes up stairs, Love the painting. I went to Church Road school, then Cockshut hill, then to Moseley school of art, Worked for the sculptor Bill Bloye till I went in the RAF at 18yrs old. Thanks for the info, John Crump

does anyone remember the name of the family who lived in the farm (which I think is at the back of the Smithy) in the ealry 1970's. Their son used to come to the Ringers with us on Friday nights. I think he might have been a car mechanic.

Almost all of the images have been lost on this thread so here are a couple of the village. Viv.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Fab photo, happy memories from a time long gone. The lovely flower beds in the park. John Crump

Back