• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Village

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just found this in a 2003 copy of the brummagem mag....delightful pic this of the smithy at yardley village....

lyn

Astoness, Rember it well from childhood to now, the photo is taken with St Edaburga church on the left the Smithy on the right private house now but a sign tells you about it, the large building in the background was a Toc H club, my Sister held her wedding breakfast there in 1935.

Last edited:
The Smithy, Yardley Village looking in the opposite direction, with the church on the right, that is not me leaning against the wall!!!. Len.

Last edited:
The Smithy, Yardley Village looking in the opposite direction, with the church on the right, that is not me leaning against the wall!!!. Len.

I believe I had an aunt who lived at the back of one of those houses. She lived at 4 Church Terrace.

Terry

lovely pic len...your aunt was very lucky then...it does look idealic....

lyn

Terry, I too had relatives in Church Terrace, number unknown, family name Horsley - any connection, Kat

I dont think so, my relatives were named Bailey, and they lived there in the 50's very early 60's.

Terry

Hi Kat - snap! Its not me but my friends Mum whose Maiden name is Horsley - her father Norman at Wroxton St 1911 with his father Joseph, a baker. 1901 Josephs father George lived 2 Church Terraces Yardley, Bricklayers labourer. They came up from Tile Cross and before that their 'home'
village of Ratley where they were agricultural labourers.
Norman George Horsley married a Rosamund Wilmot so thats where I'll be next. Look forward to your next post about the Yardley folks.

Hi Fairney View,
Snap at last! - great. Joseph b1878 was my Grand Uncle, brother of Miriam - my Grandmother. Contact me by email?? Kat

Thanks lyn for featuring my stamping ground of 68 years. Here are a few before and after pics to stir the memories...or the anger...

The Ring O'Bells is vandalised and abandoned, to the dismay and anger of all around me. The Talbot went years ago, but is now a private dwelling. Thee old Lamp survives. You can still make out the LOUNGE etching on the glass. Some you win...

And Church Terrace taken last week before the snow, when we took Billybob to the swings in Yardley Park... There are some delightful little Victorian houses just behind the Church next door to the Smithy and the Cottagers Institute.

Two more, one looking down Church Rd past the Old Ring O' Bells, I live a few doors down on the left. And a shot of Church Terrace houses for Terry and kat.

Hi kat. Here is a recent one of the Smithy, a few doors down from Church Terrace, which looks a little bit like your old pic? Church Terrace is much narrower as shown in the other pics.

Dennis, Great pic's thanks. I can't quite work out where the second two pic's were taken from (the angle) Any ideas which cottage was No 2, Kat

G'day Kat. One is the entrance from the Church Rd, the second is taken from the other way looking towards the Rd. You can just see the top of the Church Tower in that one. I will pop up and check No 2 for you soon, as I only live a few hundred yards away. Will post a pic if poss. Cheers.

G'day to you Dennis,

That would be great if that's possible. Last year I was in Church Road but at that time I didn't know of the 'connection' to Church Terrace. I was looking at my Grandfathers shop (bicycle) and a house he lived in at 218 Church Road. His wife lived at 2 Chuch Terrace when she was young. She was originally from Ratley - beautiful village which we visited. Thanks Dennis, Kat

Hi Dennis, that looks like the one,I'm sure it was the far end house in post number 14. Thanks.

Terry

Back