• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Solihull or Stechford WW2 military camps.

Just got back home with my son,from a day out visiting a home guard pill box by Birmingham airport, cannot believe how everything is still inside,down to furniture and storage containers.There were four rooms in the pill box due to bad lighting I couldn’t see exactly what was inside so I intend to visit again very soon, but there was one room stacked with approximately thirty of these lead like crates, any information on these crates would be very grateful,as I cannot find any information on the internet what’s so ever. Many thanks Jamie

Attachments

• 21214B35-DADB-40D8-AEA4-552427813EA4.jpeg
    21214B35-DADB-40D8-AEA4-552427813EA4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 60EC6DBA-A343-4177-86B5-B7146892CB72.jpeg
    60EC6DBA-A343-4177-86B5-B7146892CB72.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • D477E45B-6440-4052-9606-2EFD54524A80.jpeg
    D477E45B-6440-4052-9606-2EFD54524A80.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 2B835454-B356-4E4E-BC1B-BD9020750CEC.jpeg
    2B835454-B356-4E4E-BC1B-BD9020750CEC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • F212D481-B14D-4577-8415-886C096E375B.jpeg
    F212D481-B14D-4577-8415-886C096E375B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 7DAA4824-44D3-4880-B38B-071FAB57148C.jpeg
    7DAA4824-44D3-4880-B38B-071FAB57148C.jpeg
    889.7 KB · Views: 33
  • CFB2C162-5971-4C64-948D-C2506168AC52.jpeg
    CFB2C162-5971-4C64-948D-C2506168AC52.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The yanks were at Packington Park there is a tree there with lots of their names cut in the bark. Their watering hole was the clock at Bickenhill. My son with a metal detector unearthed live rounds and other junk they left behind 30 years ago.
Thank you so much for that information Aggie2347 do you know if it’s still a park or as packington changed to something different I’m struggling to find it only packington hall I’m finding and it’s a maner with deer and trout fishing on there site. Do you think that’s the same place would love to visit that tree and see if I could use my metal detector. Many thanks Jamie

Those metal crates marked BCS look to me like Birmingham Co-op Society metal milk crates - sorry if that disappoints you.

This may/may not be one of the named camps. Maybe someone can pinpoint a location ? Viv.

32CC7392-A329-4DDE-A4A3-0772C9691923.jpeg

At least the article says somewhere in the Birmingham area. It was quite often simply 'somewhere in England'! :D

Just got back home with my son,from a day out visiting a home guard pill box by Birmingham airport, cannot believe how everything is still inside,down to furniture and storage containers.There were four rooms in the pill box due to bad lighting I couldn’t see exactly what was inside so I intend to visit again very soon, but there was one room stacked with approximately thirty of these lead like crates, any information on these crates would be very grateful,as I cannot find any information on the internet what’s so ever. Many thanks Jamie

People were inclined to dump unwanted stuff in these old wartime constructions, I recall !
Looking at the narrowness of the aperture in this one, there wouldn't have been much scope for defensive fire from it. It looks like it would've been used for observation.
Amazing that it's still standing, congratulations on finding it.

With additions the crates made good chairs and small tables. Stacked might achieve a desk. Definitely defensive as it it near a former military airfield I should say. Usually, observation posts were not so robustly constructed.

Thank you so much for that information Aggie2347 do you know if it’s still a park or as packington changed to something different I’m struggling to find it only packington hall I’m finding and it’s a maner with deer and trout fishing on there site. Do you think that’s the same place would love to visit that tree and see if I could use my metal detector. Many thanks Jamie
Find attached a map post code CV7 7PD it's 30 years since I have been there. The tree concerned is fronting the main road to the right of the drive in the barracks were still there and being used as a scout camp when I last saw them. But what it's like now I know not. As far as can ascertain the camp was used for a convalescent hospital and by an infantry division getting ready for D Day. Tanks were parked in the surrounding lanes and up the centre of the Coventry Road past the airport. The G I's used to walk into Coventry and Birmingham in their distinctive blue uniforms. My father used to entertain them at the Clock at Bickenhill singing "Brother can you spare a dime" which went down a storm by all accounts. I remember the yanks attending dances at Starbank Road School we used to chase after them shouting "any gum chum".j

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181229-213550.jpg
    Screenshot_20181229-213550.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This may/may not be one of the named camps. Maybe someone can pinpoint a location ? Viv.

View attachment 130110
With additions the crates made good chairs and small tables. Stacked might achieve a desk. Definitely defensive as it it near a former military airfield I should say. Usually, observation posts were not so robustly constructed.
it was a struggle just to get the one crate out of there it is much larger then you may think it’s got concrete stairs on the one side that as got a metal gate . But I’m going back ASAP with good lighting to post as many good pictures as possible as I know they’re cutting all the trees down round that site and it will get vandaled in a heart beat as it’s on the main Coventry road.

Jamie, that structure by Elmdon airport is known as a underground battle headquarters, and was a standard construction built by miletary airfields during WW2. See my post number 234 under Elmdon airport for further info on it.

ELMDON ATTACKED!

Well, whether this structure was an observation position or machine gun post or HQ and whether it was manned by the Home Guard or regular troops, it doesn't seem to have been all that effective!!

Some years ago Mr. Geoffrey Bennett from Bordesley Green wrote this memoir for me and gave me permission to publish it:

During the summer of 1943 I was still a member of "B" Company, 39th Battalion Warwickshire Home Guard, stationed at the Girls School, Finnemore Road, Bordesley Green. One Saturday night we were on manoeuvres around the Marston Green area. Having done what we had set out to do and being near the then "Elmdon Airport" at 5 a.m. on the Sunday morning the Sergeant of my platoon said "Let's see what the defences are like on the airfield." We then approached the place gingerly, about 30 of us, but soon found there was no need for caution of any kind. We went over the perimeter fence with ease and just walked towards the main building with not a soul in sight. All around us were petrol trucks, aircraft etc. - all the paraphernalia of an airbase in wartime. Not one person did we find on guard duty. Yes, you are right in thinking they were all in bed, they were fast asleep with not a care in the world, what a cushy number! We did realise that it could be the Fleet Air Arm there as one of the runways was in the shape of an Aircraft Carrier Deck. There was quite a panic when we woke them up, " Don`t tell anyone" was heard a few times. Our sergeant had to report it but we heard no more about the incident. I wonder if they did!

Chris

For convenience, a transcription of Elmdon Boy's comments on this structure in the Elmdon thread to which he referred:

In answer to a few of the previous threads, the old battle headquarters which is still there is a typical design which was built at many military airfields during WW2 and due to the fact they were built mainly underground still exist at many old airfields around the country, although usually totally overgrown with brambles and filled with water. Potentially very dangerous places to explore. If you wish to see one that's fully restored and available to look round, go to Wellesbourne Mountford airfield near Stratford on Avon at the Wellesbourne Wartime Museum, open every Sunday and bank holiday Monday. The battle Headquarters were there to move airfield operations to if the airfield came under attack from the enemy, also as a means of defending the airfield from ground attack if the country was invaded. There would have been facilities to stay there for a few days.

All here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/elmdon-airport.23054/page-12

Chris

Last edited:
The crates you mention, remind me of old milk bottle crates ?

For convenience, a transcription of Elmdon Boy's comments on this structure in the Elmdon thread to which he referred:

In answer to a few of the previous threads, the old battle headquarters which is still there is a typical design which was built at many military airfields during WW2 and due to the fact they were built mainly underground still exist at many old airfields around the country, although usually totally overgrown with brambles and filled with water. Potentially very dangerous places to explore. If you wish to see one that's fully restored and available to look round, go to Wellesbourne Mountford airfield near Stratford on Avon at the Wellesbourne Wartime Museum, open every Sunday and bank holiday Monday. The battle Headquarters were there to move airfield operations to if the airfield came under attack from the enemy, also as a means of defending the airfield from ground attack if the country was invaded. There would have been facilities to stay there for a few days.

All here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/elmdon-airport.23054/page-12

Chris
ChrisM thank you very much for your reply just told my son about that night you and your

Chris
chrisM thank you so much for that information me and son just had a little giggle about you with the 39th battalion finding them sleeping . And your definitely right about them pill boxes filling with water as the light I had with me yesterday was not to good I climbed in an i must say most stuff that’s inside is floating and there seems to be a lot of very old bicycle wheels as well stacked on top of each other. Many thanks Jamie

Find attached a map post code CV7 7PD it's 30 years since I have been there. The tree concerned is fronting the main road to the right of the drive in the barracks were still there and being used as a scout camp when I last saw them. But what it's like now I know not. As far as can ascertain the camp was used for a convalescent hospital and by an infantry division getting ready for D Day. Tanks were parked in the surrounding lanes and up the centre of the Coventry Road past the airport. The G I's used to walk into Coventry and Birmingham in their distinctive blue uniforms. My father used to entertain them at the Clock at Bickenhill singing "Brother can you spare a dime" which went down a storm by all accounts. I remember the yanks attending dances at Starbank Road School we used to chase after them shouting "any gum chum".j
Thank you for your information aggie2347 I’m going to take a drive over there tomorrow with my son and find out if I can have a look around. I will keep you informed on the outcome. I will take my metal detector just in case they give me the go ahead to use it. Many thanks Jamie

Thank you for your information aggie2347 I’m going to take a drive over there tomorrow with my son and find out if I can have a look around. I will keep you informed on the outcome. I will take my metal detector just in case they give me the go ahead to use it. Many thanks Jamie
As I have said before I use to ride my bike to a camp by Fillongley lots of Yanks there.

As I have said before I use to ride my bike to a camp by Fillongley lots of Yanks there.
Thank you oldbrit for the information I’m going to take a drive down there shortly I will keep you informed on what I find. Many thanks Jamie

Back