• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Solihull or Stechford WW2 military camps.

not doing very well im afraid....i cant even find a birth for a richard H gay in birmingham...closest is one in london oct 1915 ...will have another go later on

lyn

hi barry you may already have this but on the 1950 electoral rolls (which was probably taken in 1949) ive found richard H gay and eileen W gay living in surrey at 53 tattenham way..burgh heath tadworth...

1957 and 1960 at lawrence st birmingham...still trying to find either or both of them at the army camp you mention...will see if i can find them on the 55 electoral rolls next

oh could you confirm that both parents were born and married in birmingham or elsewhere..thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn it might be 1952 or one of those years not online.
Tadworth rings a bell in connection with the army.

Lyn it might be 1952 or one of those years not online.
Tadworth rings a bell in connection with the army.
yes jan exactly what i was thinking in which case the only way to find out the address of the army camp barry said they were at in 52/53 is by visiting the library...at the min i cant find them on the 1955 e rolls...
pretty certain that is them on the 1950 though

lyn

penny has just dropped hammond is the middle name...dont worry i will get there...

found a possible marriage for a richard H gay 1942 in surrey to an eileen W jones..?

lyn

found a ww1 pension record ref for a george gay died ww1..wife clara widow son richard hammond gay born 27th oct 1915 so barry your grandad was a ww1 hero i cant read the records properly as i am not subscribed to fold3 but here is the transcript..again you may already have this info

lyn

Richard Hammond Gay
Birth Date:27 Oct 1915
Relation to Soldier:Child
Title:WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description:Other Ranks Died Gaunt J-Geddes W
Next of Kin:
Name​
Relation to Soldier​
Widow​
Child​
also this info

George Gay
Record Type:Card
Death Date:15 May 1916
Service Number:G/2608
Corps, Regiment or Unit:Royal West Kent Regiment
Title:WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description:Other Ranks Died Gaunt J-Geddes W
Reference Number:11.W.53486

Last edited:
barry are you certain your dad was in the army as ive found this ref for medals given during ww2 to merchant seamen

Richard Hammond Gay
in the Web: UK, World War II Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen, 1939-1945

Web: UK, World War II Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen, 1939-1945
Visit website

DetailSource
Name:Richard Hammond Gay
Birth Date:27 Oct 1915
Service:1939-1945
Medal Issued/Claimed:1946-2002
Discharge Number:R182445
URL:

barry i will leave it at that for now until you have had chance to read the last few posts and digest them as they contain a lot of info you may or may not have

lyn

Thank Lyn
you have put in a lot of work
all you have found is right
dad was in the navy during the war
we did live at 53 tattenham way
when we left there, we lived in a house at an army camp. but whether dad was in the army (enlisted)
or just worked for for the army I am not sure
I am wanting to find were the army camp was if possible
Barry

Have done some more digging and found a possibility. In the 1950s there was a TA camp just off Tennall Road - the camp was called Welsh House Farm Camp. Nearby was Welsh House Farm - I assume the camp was on land which had once belonged to the farm. I have no idea if this is the camp you want or if it had accommodation but it does have several buildings marked.
1950s map
1621810524779.png

If you use this link you will find an older map marking the farm - if you slide the blue button (bottom left) you will see a satellite view of the area today).

A sad photo of the farm sadly dilapidated

And a better view

Last edited:
TA stands for Territorial Army. They are part time volunteers - they are the reserve army. Trained and ready to be called on to fight.
So an army base which had a core of permanent staff. I notice it is a "centre" on the map rather than a "camp" but I don't think it makes any difference.
I think they have a different name today. Not quite sure about the camp. Would need to look up a bit more.

Last edited:
and on the same spot as barrys camp is the west midlands reserve forces and cadets association

Hi Lyn and Janice
not sure how big the (army Camp) was in those days,
but the original entrance was about 2/3 the way down Welsh House Farm Rd before the farm
I remember coming up the Road one day and as I got close to the turning into
the camp, the dogs (German Shepherds I think) on the farm started barking and scared me so much I went back down the lane and right around to another entrance into the camp
might have been the start of my fear of big dogs ??

Last edited:
Back