• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

Is the chap I used to knock around with still around? I cant remember his name but his parents lived over a shop in Small Heath.He went to Yardley Grammar and I went to George Dixons.We used to do A level homework together, some evenings in his house and some in my house in Patrick rd Yardley.I think his first name is Tony.
Bodge

I am the current headteacher at Yardleys School and we are looking to make contact with any living family members of Yardley School pupils who fought/were killed in the First World War.
We are looking to make the connection as we have a new extension building which was built last year (2018) and we thought it would be a good idea to name it after one of our soldiers from the 1st WW.
The names on the school memorial (see attached picture) are:-
•W. BAKER
•V. W. BENNETT
•C. BEVINS
•W. BINNIE
•D. P. COOPER
•H. E. COOPER
•G. B. COX
•F. C. FOSKETT
•T. FOWLER
•W. F. GINDER
•A. F. HILTON
•E. H. HULSTON
•H. C. LEESON
•J. P. LYNDON
•A. C. P. MASON
•C. F. McLEOD
•A. C. PALMER
•W. H. PALMER
•A. C. PROCTER
•A. SMITH
•W. F. SUMMERS
•S. M. TOZER
•R. W. WOODWARD

Attachments

• 1st ww.jpg
    1st ww.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 16
Sorry for not responding. I seem to look at the Facebook pages rather than actually visiting the actual forum. I will make amends

I am the current headteacher at Yardleys School and we are looking to make contact with any living family members of Yardley School pupils who fought/were killed in the First World War.
We are looking to make the connection as we have a new extension building which was built last year (2018) and we thought it would be a good idea to name it after one of our soldiers from the 1st WW.
•W. BAKER
•V. W. BENNETT
•C. BEVINS
•W. BINNIE
•D. P. COOPER
•H. E. COOPER
•G. B. COX
•F. C. FOSKETT
•T. FOWLER
•W. F. GINDER
•A. F. HILTON
•E. H. HULSTON
•H. C. LEESON
•J. P. LYNDON
•A. C. P. MASON
•C. F. McLEOD
•A. C. PALMER
•W. H. PALMER
•A. C. PROCTER
•A. SMITH
•W. F. SUMMERS
•S. M. TOZER
•R. W. WOODWARD
Have you researched the names? If not I'd be happy to help
Terry

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the service. Our uniform was green with a yellow and black stripe in the tie, jumper, socks etc. The school houses were Greswolde, Folliot, Marsden, and ? . Up the other end of the road was Foremans Rd Sec. Mod. Later, Foremans RD was renamed 'The Leys'....can you see where this is going? Later still, after the change to comprehensive education the schools were cobbled together to become Yardleys School. I pass both regularly. The old grammar school,now Yardleys school retains the old school badge, but the blazer is black, the old Foreman Rd sec.mod. is now a Muslim run school, and their pupils were the green blazer! I would have loved to have been around when they brought the two schools together, as in my time there was no love lost between the inmates of either school.
The other school house was Este.

The Head and staff discussing the plans for school’s jubilee in October 1954. Viv.

E7C32C0B-1627-4980-8984-DEF871F8EEFB.jpeg

And student school librarians

F2FA9AF8-CB3D-4B67-AA31-B084A8E0B615.jpeg

Last edited:
Crikey Viv
That photo brought back memories, same year as I left YGS.
Recognised 'The Beak' straight away.
Last time I saw Les Young was at a reunion of past pupils at the old school after it had closed, he was living in Bidford on Avon at that time.
And Billy Williamson, he taught both my father & myself. He used to organise the school camp at Welford on Avon. When my father retired (early 70's) he would visit Bill & his wife would usher them down to Bills shed & they would spend the afternoon drinking home brewed beer!

•W. BAKER
•V. W. BENNETT
•C. BEVINS
•W. BINNIE
•D. P. COOPER
•H. E. COOPER
•G. B. COX
•F. C. FOSKETT
•T. FOWLER
•W. F. GINDER
•A. F. HILTON
•E. H. HULSTON
•H. C. LEESON
•J. P. LYNDON
•A. C. P. MASON
•C. F. McLEOD
•A. C. PALMER
•W. H. PALMER
•A. C. PROCTER
•A. SMITH
•W. F. SUMMERS
•S. M. TOZER
•R. W. WOODWARD
My father Bryan Wild was at the school from 1933 to 1938, and was a night fighter pilot during the Second World War. I know this isn't the same war but I thought you might be interested. His memoirs, "Flying Blind: the Story of a Second World War Night Fighter Pilot" are published (Fonthill Media 2014) and the book is available on Amazon etc. I also carried out a fundraising project for the RAF Benevolent Fund in his memory - see www.wheretheyserved.com

I am researching Mabel Tomlinson who taught in the school from 1917-1959. She became senior mistress at the end. I am a geologist researching early female geologists of which she was one. The Geological Society has just celebrated 100 years of the first female fellows and Mabel was one of these. I am writing a chapter on her work. If anyone has any information or anecdotes about her geology teaching or photos of her in the field that I could use I would be very grateful. I understand that she was an inspiring teacher and many of her students went onto lead brilliant geological careers. Thanking you in advance.
Professor Cynthia Burek, FGS, University of Chester
you can contact me on [email protected]

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the service. Our uniform was green with a yellow and black stripe in the tie, jumper, socks etc. The school houses were Greswolde, Folliot, Marsden, and ? . Up the other end of the road was Foremans Rd Sec. Mod. Later, Foremans RD was renamed 'The Leys'....can you see where this is going? Later still, after the change to comprehensive education the schools were cobbled together to become Yardleys School. I pass both regularly. The old grammar school,now Yardleys school retains the old school badge, but the blazer is black, the old Foreman Rd sec.mod. is now a Muslim run school, and their pupils were the green blazer! I would have loved to have been around when they brought the two schools together, as in my time there was no love lost between the inmates of either school.

I was there between 1974-1981 and we used to walk between the 2 blocks of YGS and the Leys but we were in effect one school. There may have been some altercations between pupils of the 2 schools but I wasn't particularly aware of anything too bad. I loved the school and was gutted when it was demolished to make way for the town houses on Reddings Lane. Bad move!

Attended there for a couple of years, left in 1968 when my family decided to move to Australia, some of these photo's stir the memory bank. I wish I was better with names. A memorable one was George Henry Winston Lockermarsh and my first girlfriend Barbara Essex. (Not sure if allowed to use others names, sorry)

I attended Yardley G.S. between 1959 and 65. A great school headed by The "WAJ" - Mr W A Jenkins. I remember the school camp very well as in 1964 at the age of 16, I had a little 3 wheeler bubble car (Isetta) and whilst racing some of my school friends who had scooters, on Wellsbourne airfield, I rolled the car. According to some spectators, the car turned over 14 times! Happy days!!

I was at Yardley Grammar School during this period (Tranter) and met my wife Margaret , nee Chappell there.
We have been married for over 50 years. Are there any Old Yardlians out there that remember us.?

I was there between 1960 and 1965 in Marston house.
i was there from 1959 - 1964 in Este.
I lived a few doors up from the school in Redding’s Lane
my maiden name was Margaret Chappell.
Many memories from those days, and met my husband there during that time. Teachers of the day, Brian Smith, Sam Saunders, Geoff Brown , a lovely french master, whose name I can’t recall. Miss Goodall. Do you remember these people.?
c

Back