• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Road School Marlborough Road School

lindyloo

master brummie
Hi All,

I have a copy of a letter of Reference, written by my Nan's headmaster, dated 17 April 1919.
The letter, which refers to Nan's good character, is presumably on her leaving school and for the benefit of an employer.
It gives the name as Yardley Road School,.. Upper Division and the Headmaster as A Howell or Havell.
I have looked on "oldmaps" at Yardley Road, Acocks Green, but cannot see a school by that name.
I would really like to establish where the school was and would be most grateful to receive any information on it.

Lindyloo

It's been a while since I first posted my query above, about Yardley Road School (just over 2 years in fact) and my thoughts at the time were that the school Nan went to was on Yardley Road in Acocks Green, but I was adding some information about where my Nan had lived as a child onto my tree today and I suddenly remembered that I'd looked for Yardley Road before to do with another thread on here and found that Yardley Green Road was originally just Yardley Road...this would fit in more with Nan living in Palace Road at the time.
So with this in mind, would anybody be able to tell me where Yardley Road School was please ??

Lindyloo

There used to be a Yardleys School on Warwick Rd Tyseley on the corner of Reddings Rd. Though it closed some years back and they have built housing in it's place. A new school was built to replace it further up Reddings Rd at the rear of the old MEM works.

Lindyloo

In the 1913 Edition of Kelly's Directory there is a Temporary Council School mentioned just adjacent to Blake Lane on Yardley Rd before it became known as Yardley Green Rd.

Hi Phil, Thanks so much for your response.
I believe the school on the Warwick Road was Yardley Grammar (my hubby and uncle both went there) which is where I first thought it may have been, but your second post seems promising. I've just found it in Kellys and tried to find it on OldMaps, but the only building marked by Blake Lane, was a Chapel which may have housed the Temporary school.
I think I will have to sort a trip to the new library and see if they have any info there..

Yes Lindyloo I was forgetting that it was a Grammar School until it was converted to a comprehensive when the ideals of the grammar school fell into disfavour.

Lindyloo,

I see the church hall on Yardley Green Rd is still in use. It is a Methodist Church at the moment. You could contact the minister Karen Webber at [email protected] to see if she can offer any help.

aa bordesley green primary school opened at blake lane methodist hall 1950 proper school buildin.jpgHi Lindyloo here's a little info on the school from this site https://bghistory.org.uk/ Yardley Green Road was called Yardley Road early in the century .
This school may have been a replacement for one bombed in the war it's certainly not the one your gran went to
Bernie

Hi Phil and Bernie :)

Bernie, Thank you for the link, it was most interesting.

Well I have good news, I carried on digging around on the net and this evening, I am pleased to tell you, at long last I have found the information that I've been searching for !!!
From the British History Online site

"MARLBOROUGH ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Small Heath.(27) Yardley Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1898 (22) by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,065 M, I.(1) Enlarged 1906. Altered and reorganized 1931 for SM, I. Name changed 1933 to Marlborough Rd. Council Sch. SM dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. 1961: 6 classrooms, hall.(28)"

It's lovely to see that the school is still there and Marlborough Road is but a stones throw from Palace Road where Nan lived.
Just to amend my original post, the Head Masters name was Flavell.

Thanks again for your help guys :)

ps.. M. means Mixed
M. I, means Mixed and Infants (boys and girls of all ages together in one department)
SM. I, means Senior Mixed and Infants
The numbers in brackets are source references.

Last edited:
Hi Ostrauts,

Sorry I did not know anyone named Woodbridge.I do not know of a school in Green Lane either. Do you mean Little Green Lane? Marlborough Road School is on the corner of Marlborough Road and Green Lane.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, My Nan went to what is now Marlborough Road School, it was Yardley Road School prior to 1933 as far as I know...took me an age to track it down

Hi Old Boy, My Nan went to what is now Marlborough Road School, it was Yardley Road School prior to 1933 as far as I know...took me an age to track it down

Hi Lindyloo,

People referred to it as Yardley Road School for quite some time after 1933. Many of my friends and neighbours went to Marlborough Road School. What was your Nans' maiden name and where did she live? There is a chance that I might have known her.

I lived in Carlton Road, off Green Lane and was known as Bertie Beresford in those days.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

I think the school would be Little Green Lane and that is still operating as Wyndcliff Road , Malborough Road school building is still there but I don't know what it's used for .Cherrywood Road closed down several years ago and no longer exists There is still a school building in Alston Road I think it's a J@I school , I went to the senior school at Alston hope that helps. Here's a link to an index of Birmingham schools
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984

Pupils at Yardley Road School practising dancing (?). No date for the photo but possibly around 1910/20s. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 34
Pupils at Yardley Road School practising dancing (?). No date for the photo but possibly around 1910/20s. Viv

Sorry for the delay in spotting your post Vivienne... Thank You so much for sharing the wonderful photograph.. it is most appreciated. Would you mind if I took a copy of it ?

There's always a thread you haven't seen! Seeing the title Yardley Rd School, I thought of the school on Yardley Rd on the corner of Cottesbrook Rd. Looking through the thread there was a picture of Marlborough Rd School where I went to school 1948-49. Viv's picture could be the hall of that school, not sure after nearly 70 years!

Back