• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Rd City Hospital

Ann Steiner

master brummie
I finally found someone I've been looking for, in the 1901 census. They were in hospital at the time of the survey, and died just two or three months following.

The writing on the census register is difficult to read, but I believe it says "Yardley Rd. City Hospital". It's in the civil parish of Aston, Ecclesiastical parish of Ward End St. Margaret. Sub-registration district of Erdington.

Would anyone happen to know the "official" name of the hospital, or is that it -- Yardley Rd. City Hospital? And whether or not this was just a general type hospital for the ill?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ann

Not sure about Yardley Road, that's in Acocks Green, but Heartlands Hospital which used to be known as East Birmingham Hospital, is located on Yardley Green Road.

Colin

Hello Ann, Yardley Green Hospital was isolation one, for TB and other
infectious deseases, it was a kind of sanitarium. In was at the rear of what is Heartlands.My wife and I went see her Dad at Yardley Green when
he had lung cancer shortly before he died there. Hope that helps,
Bernard. Quote Health is wealth, valued most when lost.

Thank you Colin and Bernard. Given that the person in question died very soon after the census was taken, it sounds like the hospital was probably on Yardley Green Road, and perhaps he was in the sanitarium type section. I think I'll go back for another look at the census page, and enlarge it even further -- maybe the writing will make more sense then.

Thanks again!

Best,
Ann

Hi Ann

have a look at these. It mentions a City Hospital (little bromwich) Yardley Road.
They are from 1893 and 1911
Suzanne

Bernard and Suzanne -- thank you for identifying the hospital in question. I had gone back and looked at the census page much enlarged, and it definitely said Yardley Road, no mention of Green in there, so it didn't seem that the first hospital name suggested would be the right one. Little Bromwich would be it.

And thank you so much Suzanne, for including the photo images -- what a great bonus, as I never expected to find photos! This would be where my great-grandfather was lodged when he died.

Thanks again.

Best,
Ann

Hi Ann
The adrress i have on a death cert in 1924 is City Hospital, Yardley Road. And as Bernard said it was for infectious deseases. My relative was a 5 year old boy who died of Diptheria in the hospital.

all the best Stars (Eric)

hi

agree its the Isolation Hospital in fact it covered any infectious illness ie even if
you had measles but developed a further condition requiring hospital treatment
off you went to there. my sister developed appendicitis during measles and spent
several weeks in there.

mike jenks

hi

Came across this view of the Isolation Hospital now Heartlands Hospital.
Its from the air in 1921.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• EPW001102.jpg
    EPW001102.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 31
Back