• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Lodge Cricket Team - 1903

Frank come

master brummie
I think the 'Lodge' part refers to a freemason type organisation. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who can throw some light on this.
The photographers studio is in Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills.
Frank MYardley Lodge Cricket Team.jpg

Sports Argus July 1903, Club in need of a match, apoly W Hunter, 58 Coventry Road. Hay Mills.

Could we’ll be Freemasons as they seem a much smaller club than the Yardley Cricket Club.

5FBEC4B6-B80D-4497-8F64-B8B4FC5781A9.jpeg

Thanks Pedro, They appear to be the worst team in the league.
Mr Hunter's address of 58 Coventry Road, Hay Mills intrigues me as you would expect the low numbers to begin at the Camp Hill end of Cov Rd.

Really nice photograph of a local cricket team from over a hundred years ago. Young Taylor appears to be quite the all rounder from those Argus cuttings, which have been provided by Pedrocut and I think Frank come might be being a tad harsh to label them "the worst team in the league;)". Sad to think that many of the young players in that photograph and that they played against that season, would probably be in the trenches facing another foe, just over a decade later.

Really nice photograph of a local cricket team from over a hundred years ago. Young Taylor appears to be quite the all rounder from those Argus cuttings, which have been provided by Pedrocut and I think Frank come might be being a tad harsh to label them "the worst team in the league;)". Sad to think that many of the young players in that photograph and that they played against that season, would probably be in the trenches facing another foe, just over a decade later.
Thanks John. Maybe bottom was a bit harsh, perhaps second bottom.

There was a pub called The Old Lodge on Coventry road
Thanks Tinpot. I think you maybe right about The Old Lodge. One of Pedro's press cuttings shows the Yardley Lodge Secretary as W.Hunter of 58 Coventry Road. The address of the Old Lodge Pub was 53 Coventry Road. Hand for having your Lodge Meetings.

Thanks Tinpot. I think you maybe right about The Old Lodge. One of Pedro's press cuttings shows the Yardley Lodge Secretary as W.Hunter of 58 Coventry Road. The address of the Old Lodge Pub was 53 Coventry Road. Hand for having your Lodge Meetings.
Probably the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.

Back