• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Cricket Club

In the history of Shenley Fields South Yardley Sports history page, it mentions Yardley Cricket Club and seems to suggest they were still in existance in 1972 or 1973

The following year, 1973, saw both The Yardley and South Yardley Clubs leave the league so both our teams became South Yardley TT.

https://www.shenleyfieldssys.co.uk/wordpress/159-2/

Toddy1571 Coincidence again. I played against Hammerwich many times. When we first played them they had an old rickety wooden pavilion that had the largest sagging roof that you ever saw. Later this was replaced with a smart brick affair. Whilst a better facility, it lacked the rustic ambience of the old hut. I never saw any signs of an old doulble decker bus. Regards. willey

I believe the cricket ground situated at the back of henry Road playing fields where the tesco garage now stands, was the Birmingham Post and mail ground.

I remember my uncle taking me to a number of cricket matches played on Henry Road playing fields and also Oaklands,in the 1960s and remember a Brian Lloyd who lived in Hay Mills.

In
My Grandfather played for Yardley cricket club, he was born in 1901, and I have several images of early and later teams, the first image is with him in his teens/early twenties the second I would guess around 40. He was Richard Ricketts son of William Holland Ricketts , Nechells when young Coventry Rd when older where he had a business.
I will try to post the pic does anyone have any more info on the team or history. I still have his cap.
My Grandfather played for Yardley cricket club, he was born in 1901, and I have several images of early and later teams, the first image is with him in his teens/early twenties the second I would guess around 40. He was Richard Ricketts son of William Holland Ricketts , Nechells when young Coventry Rd when older where he had a business.
I will try to post the pic does anyone have any more info on the team or history. I still have his cap.
I've started a Facebook page to help save co-op sports ground. Do you have any photos please that you'd like to share? Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090356901861913/?ref=share

Yardley Ivordene is a cricket club that my Dad, John Norman Lewis, belonged to and this is his silver medal from 1938. Does any one know anything about the club and where they were based?

Attachments

• DA9632C3-4D38-434D-96A4-5D71A3C8A1C5.jpeg
    DA9632C3-4D38-434D-96A4-5D71A3C8A1C5.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 87ED5958-3002-44C1-84CF-8D028BB27645.jpeg
    87ED5958-3002-44C1-84CF-8D028BB27645.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 6
Back