• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Cricket Club

Toddy1571

Brummie babby
My Grandfather played for Yardley cricket club, he was born in 1901, and I have several images of early and later teams, the first image is with him in his teens/early twenties the second I would guess around 40. He was Richard Ricketts son of William Holland Ricketts , Nechells when young Coventry Rd when older where he had a business.
I will try to post the pic does anyone have any more info on the team or history. I still have his cap.

Attachments

• Cricket2.jpg
    Cricket2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 54
  • cricket1.jpg
    cricket1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 48
In 1906 which is before these photos it was Marlborough Cricket Club though based on Yardley Church and no mention of a past name of Yardley Cricket club which is clear on both the caps YCC and the photo! I will email them though as they may know thanks..

I lived on Moat Lane by the corner of Barrows lane. I do remember a cricket field up Barrows lane near Church Rd ? This field must be across the outer circle #11 bus route on Stoney lane? John Crump Parker, Colorado USA

Great photos Toddy1571, Thanks for sharing..
I hope you don't mind but I have had a go at repairing the second photograph, I hope you like it.
Capture vv - Copy1.jpg

The buildings in the background resemble ones still in place in Old Yardley Village.
This is a picture of 390 Church Road,Yardley,it looks very much like the building in the background.Untitled.jpg When I was a teenager in the 50's it was a cafe,but many years earlier it had been a pub.but I don't know the name.

I understand that the Old Talbot in Yardley old Village has seen many uses since first being a public house. I'm told that it has also been a local shop and a youth club. Perhaps the youth club had something to do with the cricket club?

Attachments

• Yardley Church Road.jpg
    Yardley Church Road.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Yardley Yardley Village The Talbot Inn.JPG
    Yardley Yardley Village The Talbot Inn.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 34
Believe it used to be The Talbot Inn

I think they must have been a village team in the first picture I looked at another other post where someone asked if anyone knew another early cricket team and 2 of the players look the same, but by the second picture 20 or 30 years later they look much more professional!
I have the cap from the second picture it is green and white. Cricket archives say they only have on record Yardley CC for 1906.
My granddad used to live next door to Powells bakery on Coventry rd he ran a business with Mr Hanson who I think is another of the players. Matching it to pictures of the 2 lads starting the business he was a master plumber. His Dad William was a gas fitter and also had a business.
I have a reference for my Mum, Mary Ricketts who used to help out at Powells which I know has been on another thread.
I have picture of Richard also as George v a the 1910 coronation in Hay Mills which I will post and also playing the tuba /he also played the trombone in the Haymills brass band.
Will start a new post for those.

This is a picture of 390 Church Road,Yardley,it looks very much like the building in the background.View attachment 90228 When I was a teenager in the 50's it was a cafe,but many years earlier it had been a pub.but I don't know the name.

I was thinking of the Talbot building, will try and get a shot of the rear some time this week.
Not sure the chimneys are in the same position but alterations could have been made..
https://goo.gl/maps/s4anr

i agree brumgum i also think its the talbot building...just comparing phils and mickys photos...both buildings have 3 top windows...front door directly under the 2nd top window and 2 windows either side of the door...

lyn

Bit of a dilema, if it is The Talbot, this is right alongside Yardley Old Church, St Edburghas, Marlbrough Cricket Club played there as already found out in their history, so unless two teams played on the same ground, which might be possible, I don't think its The Talbot. Looking at old maps from around the time shows two cricket grounds in Yardley, one just off The Causeway, off Church Road and the other, on what might be now, the old Co-Op sports ground at the top of Barrows Lane, Looking at a 1905 map of Stechford shows a Cricket Ground at the back of Blakesley Hall still there in 1938, the park is still there today but no cricket is played on it, apart from maybe kids!

Attachments

• stechford1905baa[1].JPG
    stechford1905baa[1].JPG
    528 KB · Views: 19
  • yrdley1920aa[2].JPG
    yrdley1920aa[2].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Have been told the ground by The Causeway was the GPO ground, the ground at the back of Blakesley Hall did have a wooden Pavillion, but expect lots of cricket clubs did, it was burnt down sometime in the 70's and the ground may have been used by the police at sometime. Called in Yardley Library today to see if they had any books or anything, was only a quick visit, but couldn't see anything. Have asked someone who is a member at Sheldon Marlborough and they are going to ask around see if anyone can remember.

dwilly, For the record, the cricket ground at the rear of Blakesley Hall was used by the Parks Social Cricket Club back in the early 1950's. I played in opposition to them on that ground. Their team was made up of Parks Dept employees. Incidentally that was before the restoration of the Hall which was derelict at that time. I too confirm the wooden pavilion there. Oh for those youthful days to return! Regards to all ex-cricketers. kwilly

dwilly, For the record, the cricket ground at the rear of Blakesley Hall was used by the Parks Social Cricket Club back in the early 1950's. I played in opposition to them on that ground. Their team was made up of Parks Dept employees. Incidentally that was before the restoration of the Hall which was derelict at that time. I too confirm the wooden pavilion there. Oh for those youthful days to return! Regards to all ex-cricketers. kwilly
So great if you can find anything out as I know he played for years, when they retired they moved to Hammerwich Staffs, and he played village cricket there with my father, they had an old double decker bus as the tea pavilion... so passed on the passion anyway...

In the history of Shenley Fields South Yardley Sports history page, it mentions Yardley Cricket Club and seems to suggest they were still in existance in 1972 or 1973

The following year, 1973, saw both The Yardley and South Yardley Clubs leave the league so both our teams became South Yardley TT.

https://www.shenleyfieldssys.co.uk/wordpress/159-2/

Toddy1571 Coincidence again. I played against Hammerwich many times. When we first played them they had an old rickety wooden pavilion that had the largest sagging roof that you ever saw. Later this was replaced with a smart brick affair. Whilst a better facility, it lacked the rustic ambience of the old hut. I never saw any signs of an old doulble decker bus. Regards. willey

I believe the cricket ground situated at the back of henry Road playing fields where the tesco garage now stands, was the Birmingham Post and mail ground.

I remember my uncle taking me to a number of cricket matches played on Henry Road playing fields and also Oaklands,in the 1960s and remember a Brian Lloyd who lived in Hay Mills.

In
My Grandfather played for Yardley cricket club, he was born in 1901, and I have several images of early and later teams, the first image is with him in his teens/early twenties the second I would guess around 40. He was Richard Ricketts son of William Holland Ricketts , Nechells when young Coventry Rd when older where he had a business.
I will try to post the pic does anyone have any more info on the team or history. I still have his cap.
I've started a Facebook page to help save co-op sports ground. Do you have any photos please that you'd like to share? Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1090356901861913/?ref=share

Yardley Ivordene is a cricket club that my Dad, John Norman Lewis, belonged to and this is his silver medal from 1938. Does any one know anything about the club and where they were based?

Attachments

• DA9632C3-4D38-434D-96A4-5D71A3C8A1C5.jpeg
    DA9632C3-4D38-434D-96A4-5D71A3C8A1C5.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 87ED5958-3002-44C1-84CF-8D028BB27645.jpeg
    87ED5958-3002-44C1-84CF-8D028BB27645.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 6
Back