• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

yardley cemetry

walshy

knowlegable brummie
hi everyone we found out today where our gnan was buried.it was yardley cemetry although were glad to know where she is we found out she is in a public grave which is a little upsetting we thought once we found our gnan we would find our ggranddad unfortunately not.but we will keep looking for him:)walshy

Hi walshy :) Did you visit the Cemetery ? have you enquired at the
Cemetery office for the "paperwork" on your GG,nan,s burial?
They should have some details of on who,s authority or payment
the internment was carried out,, This would give you further info,
Worth an asking, Ok,
Cheers John Y :cool:

My great grandad is buried at Yardley cemetry in a public grave, I think they called it a common grave. Although it is unmarked, they were able to tell us roughly where it was.

All cemeteries have detailed maps of graves so they can be located.

I was at Yardley, this week, they are very good there,they can tell you where the grave is, even in a common grave, my g,g,gran, and her sister are there, on the "lawns",but we know roughly where, plus g,g grans husband, who had his own plot. I found them to be very helpful at Yardley, and didn't want payment, unlike witton, which did a look up for me,a common grave, but were unable to give me the exact location, and wanted payment for any more look ups. The graves at Yardley, some of them from only the 1940s, are in quiet bad condition.

They are very helpful. They showed us a map which helped us locate the area but couldn't pinpoint the exact place. It is now covered by lawns with a mature tree next to it so we use the tree as the 'marker'.

We have to remember that cemeteries are buisnesses and have staff that have to be paid. Sometimes if you have several people in a cemetery its worth paying for look ups. These will often give who is buried who purchased the grave where they were living when they died and what they died of. You have to considder yourself if its worth paying for the information.

hi everyone we found out today my gggran is buried at yardley cemetry in a private family grave but she is on her own.:(does anyone know how long you own a grave for? in some cemetries it is 80 years.we are a little worried incase they can start to rebury here soon as my gggran was buried in 1911 can anyone help?:)thanks walshy

Walshy I wouldn't worry at the moment there are no plans to remove graves. If you are worried you could contact the cemetery and ask to be notified of any changes at the cemetery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back