• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley cemetery

Hello Lindyloo,
That is so kind of you - It seems perhaps Plot and Section are the same, in that case it's Section 20, Grave Number 23702, Tardley Cemetery.

Thank very much indeed.

James deBohun

Sorry James and Wendy, I have my Christmas head on!! I thought about it after I sent the message and realised that the plot number and the section number are the same....!
Thanks for the plan Wendy, Ive been looking for mine all afternoon!!!
I will go as soon as I can

Hi JamieB, I have been to the cemetery today and was able to locate where the grave should be, but I am sorry to have to tell you that the grave is not marked in anyway, it is just grassed over. I have taken photographs of the area and posted them in an album called Yardley Cemetery on my Profile Page.
I have tried to explain where the grave would be but if you need any further information please ask ...

Regards Lynne

This thread is reminding me, my wifes parents and her Uncle Bill are buried at Yardley I must go there before Christmas, when Enid was alive we used to go there quite often and clean up the headstone etc, and tidy up the area. Bernard Quote; If you take Christ out of Christmas all you left with is Marks+ Spencers.
Aled Jones 2009.

Thank so much for your efforts Lynne.

James

JamieB, No worries, Im sorry I couldnt be of more help. Have you phoned the office at the cemetery ? Perhaps they might have more information.

Bernard, it is very slippy underfoot, so take care.

Linyloo,

Yes, I remember speaking to someone there, but looking at my notes and some correspondance that was back in 2005. They sent me all the details then.
One thing puzzles me, in that Frank Lazarus was buried there in March of 1904 shortly after he died on 21st March in a common grave, however he was reintered on May 23rd, some two months later in the place you visited. Why would someone go to all the trouble of getting a body reburried and not bother with a stone ? I think his family must have been away traveling abroad.
This family of mine that I am researching were in the circus, acrobats, quite famous, this Frank was the father of the Music Hall artiste Joe Boganny, the lived for some time in Birmingham. Franks stage name was Frank Clifton, real name though was Frank Riley.....it goes on I tell you !! A headache to research. Dont suppose you noticed any adjoining names on stones when you visited.

T

JamieB,
It is indeed a puzzle. I saw in the 1911 that Joe Boganny was in Nottingham so it could be that the family were unaware of Franks passing....maybe they had a family plot and decided to use it when they found out. There are no obvious signs that the grave has been previously marked. The stone 23696 is Bradley, 23697 is a black cross but it is lying down and I didnt check the name. The big stone at the end is Sarah Elizabeth but I cant remember the surname and it is difficult to see on the picture, it could possibly be Finley/Findley..I will have to go back at somepoint and check. I wonder if the office could tell you the names of 23697/8/9/0/1/3 and 4, although they may charge for that type of search.
The research looks to be more of a migraine than a headache!!!!!

Lindyloo

It's possible the stone may have been damaged and removed. My grandfather was buried in a cemetery in West Bromwich in the 1940's. The headstone was damaged and my grandmother had it repaired it was damaged again and she said it was costing to much. Now it is just grassed with no trace.

The cemetery should be able to tell you if there was a headstone.

My mother-in-law always visites the cemetery on Christmas Day. She has just rang to tell me that the Chapel is now closed because there have been problems with drug dealers!

Does anyone have any further information on this issue?

My sister's just made a rather sad discovery regarding our family and Yardley cemetery.
Our grandfather died of pneumonia in 1929, leaving our grandmother with 3 children to bring up - the youngest being only 3.
We've always known he was buried in Yardley cemetery, but never knew where the grave was.
In a secret compartment in a wooden trinket box we've just found, not only the card giving the no. of his grave, BUT a certificate of purchase of a family grave, purchased by our grandmother, just after his burial. '....exclusive rights of burial in the said parcel of land to her, her heirs and assigns for ever.....'
It cost her £4.10 shillings, which, in 1929, must have been a huge amount for a young widow to find!
And the sad thing? No-one knew of this certificate, and when she died in the 1960s she was cremated.
At least, we'll be able to find where the plot is, along with our grandfather, when we next visit the Midlands - although I expect it's now grassed over.
It's grave C in sec. 46440 - 'Church', according to the certificate if anyone is visiting the cemetery in the meantime, and has some time on their hands to look (she says hopefully!!)

Seabird

Hi Seabird, What a find ! ...I usually try and go to the cemetery if someone posts a request, but the grave number you have given is not familiar. If you go back on the thread you will see that Wendy has posted a plan of the cemetery and all the sections are given a number rather than a letter, so unless anyone knows any information about this, it may be an idea to ring the office and ask if there is a corresponding number for 'C' so that I could look for it

Lindyloo

Ps could you give your Grandfather's name as if there is a stone and it is readable, it is often easier to find than the number

Hello Lindyloo, thanks for your reply. Yes I noticed when I looked at the plan, that there are no sections marked 'C' - I wonder whether the word 'Church' on the card is significant. I shall.as you suggest, contact the office when they're open.
His name was George Frederick Tidmus. An unusual enough name, but I doubt whether there was enough money left for a headstone. Interred on February 12th 1929.
If I find out any more about the plot I'll post it on here.

Seabird

I am off to Yardley Cemetery tomorrow in search of my great-great-grandparents :) (I just did a drive-by at about 6pm, was shocked that it was all locked up as the cemeteries where I'm from are generally always open)

A very kind person at Yardley told me where the bodies were interred and the grave no - obviously there may be no headstone but how do I know which grave is which :rolleyes:

I know its Section 40 and the grave is 42106 but the section is massive - is it a case of just wandering around aimlessly for 5 hours trying to find it?

From what I remember there are numbers descreetly engraved at the bottom on the backs of at least most of the headstones. but a lot of older stones were removed and the areas grassed over in the early 90s.

Hi Lindyloo,
I am researching many Bradley's and saw you post to JamieB,I think that it would be too much of a coincidence for the grave you mentioned 23696 to be any of them but I would like to go and check,could you tell me what section it was on .That would be a real turn up,but I won't count any chickens yet

Shelagh

Last edited:
Shelagh, I cant read all the details but the names are Mary Bradley who I think died aged 78 and Joseph Bradley.
Hope that helps.
Lindyloo

Back