• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Cementry, Acocks Green

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
I’m writing from Canada and am trying to collect as many details of my family as possible.
If anyone is visiting the cemetery could you please find and take a photo of the grave -
William George Henry Fry, beloved husband of Maud Fry. DoD July 26th 1944 aged 56 years.
interred in family grave, Yardley Cemetery, Acocks Green, August 2nd.
Thank you so much.

pjmburns

master brummie
Yardley is a large cemetery. It might help to contact the cemetery for a grave plot number so that a search can be narrowed down to one section. Also do you know if the grave has a headstone or is it an unmarked plot?

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
Thank you for your help. I will contact the cemetery to try and get this info. And maybe they will know if it has a headstone or not.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Birminghamburialrecords.co.uk shows a burial for William in 1944 and Maud in 1958. Unfortunately it costs £20 to view the records and I'm not sure if you can access them from Canada. I did found the staff there very helpful when I looked for my g-gparents grave so it would certainly be worth contacting them.

Last edited:

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
Ha! Just tried again and it’s come up. Thank you so much I will attempt to access them. I’m actually in the UK now so I’m sure I can do it now.

pjmburns

master brummie
If you get the information this map might prove useful. They should be able to provide you with a plot number and the section it is in. The numbers are on the back of any headstones. If your grave is unmarked then you will need to try to locate a nearby grave and then count spaces. I had to do that - fortunately the graveyard is well tended) or was last time I went.

Attachments

• Yardley Cemetery (map).jpg
    Yardley Cemetery (map).jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 23

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
If you get the information this map might prove useful. They should be able to provide you with a plot number and the section it is in. The numbers are on the back of any headstones. If your grave is unmarked then you will need to try to locate a nearby grave and then count spaces. I had to do that - fortunately the graveyard is well tended) or was last time I went.

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
I’ve found the information. He is in section D,
The number of the grave is 67324, he was consecrated. There is also a column for description of grave but it’s very hard for me to read.

pjmburns

master brummie
Then there must be another map as mine has numbered sections. Unless it is a cremation and the ashes are interred - I think that is a slightly different section.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
I found the grave number from the web site (25417) and then visited the cemetery. The lady there then looked up the number and marked the position of the grave on the map - in my case section 24, 29 graves along towards Clay Lane and 7 to the left.

Misc029.jpg

Juliedhall

proper brummie kid
Wonderful. I’m hoping to visit the cemetery tomorrow as I just so happen to be passing Birmingham on the way down to Essex. Thank you for all your help.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Thank you all so much for your help. I went to the cemetery office with the grave number and they looked it up in their records. It was in section 59. Unfortunately they was no headstone, just a patch of scrubby grass. I’m glad I went though.

hi julie so pleased that yardley were helpful...i have always found them happy to help...i would have to check my family file but i think section 59 is the section or at least very close to my family grave where i have my grandmother..grandfather and grandmothers adoptive dad...same as you just a bit of scubby grass but i was glad that i went as i had never met any of them..they all died before i was born

lyn