• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Xenforo bugs/help

Receiving an email today advising me of a new post on a thread I have been watching, I realised that I had not had many emails lately. I clicked on the link and was navigated to Page 1 Post 1 on that thread so I had to click on the last page number and page down. I have also found that when a member has posted more than one attachment, I can no longer just click on next but have to go back to the post to click on the next attachment.

I have just discovered a page which shows my unread watched threads where I have found that I am still linked to many threads but not receiving the email notifications as mentioned above.

I see that we are still stuck with an American spellcheck. Presumably in not too many years time, those of us who still use English spelling will be regarded as illiterate. Have just had to edit to correct my spelling mistakes but that was my fault not the Forum's.

With ref to my above quote. I have worked out that I was not automatically logged in when I clicked on the email and was therefore treated as a guest yet I was able to post the above comment with my username. Perhaps I logged in when trying to look at the photos.

However this does not resolve the problem about my receiving only occasional emails. I have not changed my preferences as I do not know how to do so. I have gone through every menu item on the forum banner and cannot find out how to access my preferences.

As for the spellcheck, I have my computer's control page set to British English and have no problems with Word. If it is a Browser problem (thanks Old Mowhawk for your additional comment). I did use IEv9 until that refused to accept updates of Adobe Flash, a problem other people were having according to my internet research so I switched to Chrome, some crapware which I had accidentally downloaded with other software. When that failed to work after repeated attempts to download updates I swithched to Firefox. My operating system is Windows Vista but I do have later software on my laptop and my tablet so there is no need to tell me that the time has come to buy a new desktop as that is in my plans for the next few months.

I get 'preferences' by clicking on my username which brings up a box with some items to click and the 5th item on the left is preferences. One thing you could try is a click on 'contact details' and re-enter your existing email address.

Thanks Old Mohawk but I am afraid that does not help. I clicked on my user name and all it brought up was my activity from which I have discovered that I have been 'offline' since 19th April and it must be just chance that I received an email today. Can you be more specific please. Is this another case where, like my tablet, the manufacturer proudly says that they do not produce an instruction manual.

Hi David ... it seems you are getting some strange results with your forum account.
I have put a screenshot below of what I see when I click on my forum user name.
As far as I know everyone else sees a similar result.
Screenshot (18).jpg

oldmohawk

Last edited:
The forum seems to pause for a lon g time , or soetimes sieze completely far more with the new version. It usually seems to be because some interfering organization is poking its nose in to get information, Today the cuplritn is something called syndication twitter.com. As people may know anything to do with twitter ought, to my mind, be burnt in the fires of hell, preferably fuelled by the fat of its users. I realise this is somewhat unlikely , but is there any way to cut down on these delays and crashes?

Ive not had them at all mike so i dont know, never crashed for me and never paused how do you know it's twitter?
thats not even been set up on the site, ive not bothered.

problem is everyone wants something doing in a way that suits them, which i get and i try to appease everyone but most of the time it's down to the individual.

At the moment the site works and is stable, the feature set is the way it is, i will always try to make the site as user friendly as possible and accommodate where i can, BUT! and essentially this is the way it is.

Plus I like it and there is an element of lump it in that :p

Last edited:
That's fine warren. I was just asking. I know its twitter as in the bottom left hand corner it says something like waiting for syndicationtwitter.com. Actually , it happens far more on one computer running W10 than on the other running W8.1, so maybe its windows' fault

Many thanks OldMohawk. Have now found where I have to click. Everything on my preferences was as I wanted. This does not explain why I have not been getting emails as everything was ticked correctly

Many thanks OldMohawk. Have now found where I have to click. Everything on my preferences was as I wanted. This does not explain why I have not been getting emails as everything was ticked correctly
Hi David,
I notice in post#118 you mentioned that you had received an email alert for a thread you were watching. Perhaps you could say which thread it is and I'll make a test post in it to see if you receive an email. Purpose of this is to see if you receive emails for that particular thread and not others.

Also, perhaps you could check whether the forum's emails are being diverted to your email spam folder. This happened to me once on the old forum when the BHF emails started to come from a different email address.

Strange thing is I did not receive an email alert for your latest post#128 timed 3.23pm, the last one I received was for mikegee's post#127 time stamped 2.57pm .... not sure why !

oldmohawk

I received this email 8/5/16 19.02
DavidGrain, Astoness replied to a thread you are watching at Birmingham History Forum.

birmingham corporation bus clock in for drivers

not sure how many are still dotted around on the pavements of brum but here is part of a bundy clock...pic taken today on the walsall road

lyn

This made me realise that I was not receiving email alerts about posts on threads I was watching. If I had thought about it before I probably would have thought that the Forum was going through a quiet patch. I am however receiving emails about posts on this Xenforo-bugs thread but the email I quote above is the only email I have receive for sometime on other threads. As I mentioned in a previous post, I discovered the page listing my unread threads which I need to go through sometime.

David

Have just realised that I will have to work through the long list of unread thread alerts to reactivate my email notifications. Will take sometime but many thanks OldMohark and Warren for your help. Don't know what went wrong but we shall probably not be able to find out

David

have made some changes to the forum list the separator bars are now more defined how does it look?

Looks fine on my iPad, perhaps they would be also useful as separators between posts.

i agree phil...i asked about having better definative lines between posts some time ago as they are just about visible...if warren could achieve this that would make life a whole lot easier for some of us:) ps i have already replied to the wrong poster once lol

lyn

Last edited:
I notice I sometimes get email alerts on a watched thread and then suddenly I don't. I usually know immediately I receive an email because my phone 'beeps' and I might read it but don't usually post from the phone. I haven't altered my settings since Xenforo started.

Examples of 'on off' email alerts.

Lyn posted in the 'Street Furniture' thread (11.55am) which is on my 'watched list' and I received an email alert. I did not read the post.

Then Mikegee posted at 1.45pm and I did not receive an email alert, but looking at 'Recent Posts' I could see he had posted but I did not immediately read the post.

I think I have worked out why this happens ...
It seems by default, XenForo will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.

Well that's my theory ... it might be wrong ... but I will see ....

I won't have a problem with this default setting now I know how it works if my theory is correct ...;)

Last edited:
I notice I sometimes get email alerts on a watched thread and then suddenly I don't. I usually know immediately I receive an email because my phone 'beeps' and I might read it but don't usually post from the phone. I haven't altered my settings since Xenforo started.

Examples of 'on off' email alerts.

Lyn posted in the 'Street Furniture' thread (11.55am) which is on my 'watched list' and I received an email alert. I did not read the post.

Then Mikegee posted at 1.45pm and I did not receive an email alert, but looking at 'Recent Posts' I could see he had posted but I did not immediately read the post.

I think I have worked out why this happens ...
It seems by default, XenForo will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.

Well that's my theory ... it might be wrong ... but I will see ....

I won't have a problem with this default setting now I know how it works if my theory is correct ...;)
spot on

In the alerts section on the top r.h corner, each alert message that comes up does add "there may be more posts after this"

Back