• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Xenforo bugs/help

have had time now to have a good look at the privacy settings etc and unticked those i do not want to allow which is most of them but would anyone be able to tell me what profile posts are please..looking at it means members are allowed to post on my profile page .. are they made between members and are they visible to all members? another thought crossed my mind that are the profile posts just the same as the old quick message system we used to have...sorry to be a pain but i need to be clear on the privacy side of things

many thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, I think they are the equivalent to the old 'visitor messages' so everyone can see them. When I click 'New Profile Posts' I can see a lot going back from March 11 2016. I never understood the old 'Visitor Messages' but they were used a lot.
Phil

Last edited:
morning phil i just edited my last post to say are they the same as the old visitor/quick messages we used to have...thanks for confirming what i thought...as said earlier my experience a few years back with visitors messages was not very nice..not everyone realises that all members can read them as they are not private between the sender and recipient...i have now unticked that box as well...

many thanks phil...

lyn

In the old version when you was on the new posts page, if someone made a post that included an attachment there used to be a paper clip thingy bob to show that this post includes attachments. Funnily enough I miss the paper clip. I did'nt read all the messages especially if someone was looking for info on someone, but I did tend to have a look if I knew that there was a picture attached. Is there a way something similar could be done on this version?

Ill look into it, theres nothing there by default but there may be an addon for it

I have just made a Post and my Post reference said I was a new member. In fact I am quite an old member with about 280 posts My user name is "anvil man"
Not a huge problem but I did find it difficult to establish an initial start up to the Forum.

Hi anvil man
The pic below shows what I see when I log in.
Enter your user name in the top box.
Because you already had an account click the circle by 'Yes, my password is'
Enter your password
Click the 'Stay logged in'
Then click the Log in' button and you will be on the forum as 'anvil man'
index.php

Hello Warren, on my old profile page there was a facility for storing up to 60 images, I had a gallery of 58 watercolours accessed by 'Erics Watercolours' thumb nail . Now disappeared, could you confirm if that facility is no longer available. Not to important as I have them on coppermine and some on the 'Original Art' thread. Thanks Eric

Hi Eric, i dont think that feature is available on xenforo sorry not that ive found anyway :(

eric the old private messages are now called conversations...top right of the page click on inbox to take you to it..any problems just post on this thread

lyn

hi warren will we be having the facility of a full members list as this can be very useful

lyn

Have only just managed to get back into the Forum. I had a favourites setting on my laptop for the BHF and it has been saying "HTTP 404 not found" when I tried to open the webpage. If I re-typed Birmingham History Forum into Google then it worked. Presumably I had an out-of-date link? Dave

donate button will come soon, members list adds to forum stress and can slow it down so im testing that and yes dave old link :)

Hello Warren, I was hoping we could have a "thanks" button as "like" doesn't always seem appropriate.
I know you have had such a lot of work to do to keep the Forum going and I do appreciate it. Thank you !!
I'm getting used to it gradually and even started my first thread, I didn't have the nerve to try before, even though I've been a member for so long!!
Best Wishes,
rosie.

The like is the thanks essentially on this version the thanks was a custom mod on the vbulletin forum

Back