• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Xenforo bugs/help

Have just uploaded a file to the "Birmingham 150 years ago" thread, which did not show large enough formany to read. Tried to put it in coppermine, and got message "upload failed." Impossible to move. Haven;t used coppermine for a few weeks so not sure if it is to do with Xenofo or something else.

coppermine should be fine whats the name of the file including the file type?

picture attached, there is a link to the first unread post of a thread if that's any good?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 6
Sorry warren,. did not make myself clear. I seem to be unable to upload to coppermine at all. Get attached message: But realise it cannot be Xenofo so leave till you are finished with the new site.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2208 Apr. 21 16.18.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2208 Apr. 21 16.18.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4
The new posts link now seems to not show recent posts if you have already viewed them unless it thinks there are soem posts on the thread that you have not opened . Is there a way to still view all recently posted threads even if you have already viewed them?

The new posts link now seems to not show recent posts if you have already viewed them unless it thinks there are soem posts on the thread that you have not opened . Is there a way to still view all recently posted threads even if you have already viewed them?

I don't think so as technically if you have already viewed them they are no longer new posts, that's how vb should of been but it was broken

Sorry warren,. did not make myself clear. I seem to be unable to upload to coppermine at all. Get attached message: But realise it cannot be Xenofo so leave till you are finished with the new site.
try again

What do you all think about this add on? Worth using or forget it?

To clarify it's a notification system the video shows trophies which we don't use but it would show reply to your posts etc

I get a bleep on my iPhone receiving an email alert whenever someone posts in a thread I'm watching so I don't think I would use it but maybe other members would.
As I was typing this my phone bleeped and I immediately knew that Eddie (Norfolk Brummie) had replied to a post I had made in the vBulletin5 thread

I don't use notifications of any sort myself, as I log onto the forum every day. So personally it would be of no use to me. Though I suppose there are some who would find it helpful.

Like the new set up looks good, where can i find subscribed posts and how do i unsubscribe from those i am no longer interested in?

Look at the top of the thread and you we see a link that says watch thread this is how you subscribe, to see what you are watching look for the glasses icon

over the coming weeks im going to do some new styles, a darker one and one with larger text, this should address some accessibility issues we may have, it will take some time though as each style has multiple parts to change (there are whole industries just for styling and im no expert in this field)

when i go to my profile page a list of private messages from 2011/12 are showing....am i the only one who can see these or can those who visit my profile page also read the messages...

also noticed that we no longer have the private message facility that we used to have its been replaced by conversations....are these conversations completely private between the sender and recipient...only asking as it does not really make it clear...much prefered it when we had the visisble private message button which also made it easier to direct members to...thanks warren

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn ... conversations are the equivalent of the old private messages, perhaps xenforo should have called them 'private conversations'.

I access mine by 'hovering' the mouse pointer on my name (top right) and in the box which opens I click on 'conversations' and see them all going back a year or two. I'll probably delete a few !

Phil

Last edited:
If I hover the pointer or touch (iPad) on someone's avatar a box pops up giving some details about the member and if I click on 'Profile Page' in the box a load of stuff appears which appears to be the 'Visitors Messages' from the old forum. I never really understood 'Visitors Messages' which were visible to everyone ... but ...:)

hi phil i agree with you i think it would be better if it was made clearer that this new conversations facility had the word private introduced so that members know they are just that...not clicked on anyones avatar but re the quick messages system...i had a most upsetting experience with that a few years back as i found out and could read that a couple of members were saying some unsavoury things about me...of course they did not realise that the visitors/quick messages could as you say be seen by the world and his wife....i guess this would explain the need for me to know that the conversations are private between the sender and recipient..

Last edited:
I think the 'Conversations' button is built into the xenforo software so we will have to remember that 'Posts' are now 'Messages' and the old 'Instant Messages' or 'Private Messages' are now 'Conversations' .... :D

Back