• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Xenforo bugs/help

Thanks Warren ... the changeover has gone very smooth and from what I see, none of us have had any major problems using the new forum ..

I was a bit slow understanding the difference between 'New Posts' and 'Recent Posts', but I eventually worked out the following:-

'New Posts' lists all the posts sorted by time which I havent read yet.

'Recent Posts' lists all the posts sorted by time.

So when someone posted something 1 minute ago it appears in 'New Posts' and 'Recent Posts' as the newest one. Once I've viewed the post it disappears from my 'New Posts' list because it now is not the newest post, so it isn't there anymore, but it stays in the 'Recent Posts' list.

So I like 'Recent Posts' more than 'New Posts' ... You know it makes sense ... as 'Delboy' always said ...:)

Mike, if you press on the blue bar 'Forums' just below the advertising at the top of the page it comes up with options, one being 'Recent Activity' Is this the same as 'Recent Posts'? iv.

Where is Recent Posts ? Can't seem to see it on my page.

Mike,
When you click on New Posts, Recent Posts comes up on the top line. If you click on that you get the recent posts.

Am I correct in thinking that the search facility has disappeared? On the old site we could check whether or not a subject we wished to bring up had previously been discussed. All in all I think this new site is much better and thank you Warren for all the hard work you have put in.

Old Boy

Hi Mike ... Your query has already been answered and I also get 'Recent Posts' clicking the words 'Recent Posts' highlighted in bottom circle. When I got 'Recent Posts' on screen I actually bookmarked it on my bookmarks bar so I could go straight to it if I wanted to. I have considered making it my homepage.
Screenshot (41).jpg

Mike,
When you click on New Posts, Recent Posts comes up on the top line. If you click on that you get the recent posts.
Am I correct in thinking that the search facility has disappeared? On the old site we could check whether or not a subject we wished to bring up had previously been discussed. All in all I think this new site is much better and thank you Warren for all the hard work you have put in.

Old Boy
Hi Old Boy ... I find the search on Xenforo is much better than it was on the old forum. You can search for words in titles only. If you put only your username in the search with nothing ticked, it will find every post you ever made. If you put someone else's user name it will find every post they made. When you find a thread, you can find every post you or another user has made only in that thread ... it's brilliant.
An example .. this morning I wanted to find a pic I had posted of the Odeon in New Street and I remembered I had previously said that I had seen 'Scott of the Antarctic' last time I was there in 1951.
So I put 'antarctic' in the search and it found my post.
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Mike, if you press on the blue bar 'Forums' just below the advertising at the top of the page it comes up with options, one being 'Recent Activity' Is this the same as 'Recent Posts'? iv.
Hi Viv .. it is not the same ... in fact if I look at it I can see no recent activity by you or Lyn. I assume this is because you are both staff members. I can however see activity by one staff member.
I don't often use 'Recent Activity'.
Phil

This is what I get when i click on new posts. Its not too important, but it does seem that different members get different layouts, presumably due to how they access the forum

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2460 May. 26 14.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2460 May. 26 14.36.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
With one eye on the tv and the other on my iPad, I accidentally touched the 'mark forums read' instead of 'recent posts' and was glad of the 'are you sure' box. Has anyone ever clicked or touched that feature and was sure ?

I've clicked on it by accident and sent all the recent posts (figuratively) into oblivion. Its good that it now checks with you

I suppose it keeps us older members alert !
Email alerts on xenforo work as quoted below
By default, XenForo will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.
So maybe it could be a way of getting email alerts for old watched threads you once posted in. The 'on-screen' alerts are good but sometimes I miss one in the list.

Last edited:
Did not want to start a new thread so I've put it here .....
Looking around at 5.48pm in Birchfield Road Perry Barr and Old Street Pics threads it looks like the forum is not displaying Photobucket images. I only have one Photobucket image on the BHF and it is not displaying it.
So it looks like it is a Photobucket glitch and hopefully temporary. Can others see the pics ?
A few examples Birchfield Road Perry Barr thread
#31,

We have at least 3900 posts that should contain Photobucket images or internal links to them ... :eek:

I have in the past found large numbers which are now defunct, This was before th ebucket's troubles

This is one of the reasons that I have never been happy about using photo hosting sites, I have a great number of photos on Photobucket that are not showing up. It's a good job that not all of my photos were uploaded by this method. I think I will be changing them all in the near future.

Back