• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

X Rays!!

Dave C

master brummie
Does anyone remember buying shoes in the 1950s?

I remember going with my dad to the shoe shop in Northfield (not Huins Shoes, the other one near Woolies) where for a while at least there was an X Ray box that I was told to poke both feet into.

When I stretched to look into a what the butler saw arrangement in the top I could see my toes, and toe bones wriggling around inside the outline of my shoes, all bathed in an eerie green light.

All designed to see if they fitted properly of course, I wonder why they stopped using them ......................?

Dave

in the 40's mom took me there for shoes always remembered they had a machine called a Shoe-Fitting Fluoroscope that you stood at and put your foot in the hole at the bottom and it was like an xray you could look down the peep hole at the top and see the bones of your foot inside the shoe to see how it fitted Image5.jpg

There were proper X-ray machines and quite common in shoe shops in the 50’s early 60’s. I recall the one in a shop on Erdington Hight Street and by coincidence bumped into the daughter of the shop owner recently in the village of Malton Yorkshire.

We have a chat about that infamous X-ray machine.

As Mike quite rightly says, over exposure to X-ray effects are quite well documented.

Back